19 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 98

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dexterity or Weapons.....(Poll)
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »
I'm 99% confident that xerofactor is right.  I did a double-take on that one because it seemed so easy.  Then I re-read it and realized there was a glaring error, and I'm almost sure that xerofactor just described exactly what I found to be the error.

GreyStreet

« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2006, 07:51:53 PM »
I'm so curious to see what I answered on this one, because my mind has changed so many times. The stimulus I remember, but the answer choices are now all jumbled in my head. All I remember is that if one said "weapons" I equated it with tools, so if I didn't pick that one it wasn't because it said "weapons." I also clearly remember marking one wrong because it said tools were found with remains of the non-upright monkey-men. I even remember musing to myself that they could have found several discarded ACDC lp's at the same location, but that didn't mean the monkey-men knew "Back In Black."

The fact that you had time to make witty remarks about pop culture while taking the LSAT makes me really dislike you, and want to be you at the same time.

But seriously, the new poll should ask whether or not this question will be scored.  Study books always say there will be one right answer and four wrong ones.  That simply was not the case here.

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2006, 09:25:49 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If it was that easy, then we wouldn't be debating it right now.  We all knew right off the bat what the clear answer was.  The problem is that none of the answer choices fit the clear answer.

Thats the thing, it wasn't the clear answer.

The clear answer, and best answer would've been simply :  "Early sophisticated tools were MADE by nonerect people"

I went through the whole thing and mentally thought  " animals, wrong.    Adv weapons _found_?  hmm maybe, a candidate but not what i'm lookng for.   Basic tools _made_,  damn had to have basic, probably not right.   "early sophisticated tools _used_?  almost, but _used_ doesn't equal make.   Dexterity?  what does that have to do with it, wrong.

Then I compared adv weapons with early sophisicated tools for literally 2 minutes.  I then just went with the feeling that USE  is a whole lot better and more sure then FOUND.  And thus i chose early sophisticaed tools. 

Hopefully this thought pattern will remind people of their thought pattern, because literally everyone probably ruled out "sophisticated"  because of _use_  not make.

I had a nearly identical thought pattern. Reading this post was
like deja vous. Except for the final decision, I picked advanced weapons. I was confident picking advanced weapons, but the more I think about it, the more I agree that this was a bad question. Like someone said, if youre going to discredit sophisticated tools because it said "used" not "made," you have to discredit advanced weapons because it did not specify "made" either.  Dexteritiy could mean anything. You could have dexterous hands without having opposable thumbs.I don't know.

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2006, 09:26:49 PM »
If it said "Were able to use" then it goes along with dexterity.  Irrelevant.  Using and making are different.  Finding advanced weapons at a known site weakens the argument. 

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2006, 12:51:04 AM »
Didn't the stimulus say "tools"?  If it did, that would make "weapons" irrelevant.  Yes - you could argue that weapons are a type of tool, but in terms of the LSAT, that would be too off topic... 

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2006, 01:02:43 AM »
Dictionary.com:

dexterity - "Skill and grace in physical movement, especially in the use of the hands"

It's not entirely unreasonable to interpret this as meaning "freedom of movement", at least in the context of the stimulus.

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2006, 01:34:21 AM »
Dictionary.com:

dexterity - "Skill and grace in physical movement, especially in the use of the hands"

It's not entirely unreasonable to interpret this as meaning "freedom of movement", at least in the context of the stimulus.

Skill in using hands =/= freedom to use hands,   even if the nonerect humans walked on their hands they might have more skill in using their hands then we do.

kfen

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2006, 01:42:42 PM »
Whoops, this was before I was in the forum...Thanks.

bump.....

read away.....why retype everything.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
Instead of the third thread about this question can we just wait 24-48 hours and look when the answer comes out?

kfen

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »
Where's the fun in that? LOL

Its the question that guides us. Do you know the question?

Instead of the third thread about this question can we just wait 24-48 hours and look when the answer comes out?