17 (15.7%)
Weapons
72 (66.7%)
Other
19 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Re: Dexterity or Weapons.....(Poll)
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 12:12:17 PM »
Dexterity has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the prehistoric humans are able to create sophisticated tools, because the argument didn't say they never had the skill, they said they never had the freedom.

Jatt

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
it is definitely the dexterity....the question was a weakener...and the authors reasoning was the use of hands let humans make the tools...but if it is true that early humans had the same amount of use of their hands as did pre-humans...then something else can account for the tool making..thus a weakener!

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »
That would be right.

But that's not the argument.

The trick was equating weapons as tools.  It's weapons. 

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »
I chose the ‘dexterity’ answer as well and have heard NO argument thus far to persuade me otherwise.  There was something about the way the stimulus was formed that allowed me to rule out the weapons answer.  I would be willing to put money on it.

Me too. No matter what, some of us fell into a trap.

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 12:17:32 PM »
I'm *inclined* to think that the trick to this question was identifying weapons as being advanced tools.  If they are, I don't see how that answer can be wrong.  If non-upright people used advanced weapons, they had to make them.  Thus they made them even without free use of their hands.  It demolishes the argument.

GreyStreet

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 12:17:47 PM »
it is definitely the dexterity....the question was a weakener...and the authors reasoning was the use of hands let humans make the tools...but if it is true that early humans had the same amount of use of their hands as did pre-humans...then something else can account for the tool making..thus a weakener!

And the winner is.....  this argument.  I am sure of it.  An increase in dexterity would account for the new freedom for making tools, but there was none.  WEAKENED!

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 12:19:19 PM »
That would be right.

But that's not the argument.

The trick was equating weapons as tools.  It's weapons. 

actually greystreet....this is the winner... :)

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 12:19:44 PM »

And the winner is.....  this argument.  I am sure of it.  An increase in dexterity would account for the new freedom for making tools, but there was none.  WEAKENED!

Exactly, doesnt need to blow up the argument just weaken it, and this does. The whole weapons=tools things is an inference that is likely outside the scope and does not directly weaken anything the author said.

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 12:20:29 PM »

And the winner is.....  this argument.  I am sure of it.  An increase in dexterity would account for the new freedom for making tools, but there was none.  WEAKENED!

The argument was talking about freedom of using your hands.  Dexterity does not imply freedom of moving your hands.  As somebody pointed out earlier, monkeys are very dextrous but do not walk upright.

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »
When someone can put together an argument that shows how dexterity means freedom to use hands, I'll believe the dexterity answer.