Law School Discussion

Poll

Will the new owners of Chrysler break the Union there?

Yes
4 (44.4%)
No
1 (11.1%)
Unsure
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Unions

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: Unions
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2007, 08:03:38 AM »
dont know if id say decades, but they are def a dying animal

an interesting take on the current strike

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/24/magazines/fortune/gmwalkout.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2007092417

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2007, 07:09:39 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21598412/

Writers a rarity a union with power
Union has leverage at least for now because of special skills

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »
good for them.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2007, 06:52:22 AM »
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/printedition/2007/11/16/autotalks1116.html

Detroit - A new contract with the United Auto Workers has almost eliminated a $30-per-hour labor cost gap with Japanese competitors, Ford Motor Co. executives said Thursday.

Marty Mulloy, the company's vice president for labor affairs, said shifting Ford's long-term retiree health care liability to a union-run trust and a new lower-tier wage scale will remove much of the gap.

"I'd say very close but not all the way," he said during a conference call to explain the landmark four-year deal with the UAW.

The union announced on Wednesday that Ford's 54,000 UAW workers overwhelmingly ratified the contract, reached Nov. 3 after a marathon bargaining session.

Ford also said it will make another round of buyout and early retirement offers to UAW workers by the end of the year, with departures expected to begin in the first quarter of 2008.

Terms and timing have yet to be negotiated with the union.

The contract eventually will shift a $23.7 billion retiree health care liability off the company's books and into the trust, which Ford will fund with a combination of $13.2 billion in cash and notes, the company said. That amounts to roughly 56 percent of the obligation.

In the presentation, Ford said it expects a net cash flow benefit of $1 billion per year once the retiree health care costs are shifted to the trust in January 2010.

Ford said the cash flow benefit includes health care cost savings of $1.6 billion per year, offset by the cost of its contributions to the trust, called a voluntary employees beneficiary association.

The company's contribution breaks down to $2.7 billion in cash, $3.8 billion from an existing VEBA, a $3.3 billion note convertible into about 363 million new shares of Ford stock, a $3 billion second lien term note and $400 million in deferred payments.

The VEBA still must be approved by a federal judge, and Ford would continue to be responsible for retiree health care until the trust takes over, the company said.

The other big savings component for Ford is wages, including the UAW agreeing to a pay structure for new hires starting at $14.20 per hour, about half that of a current worker.

Up to 20 percent of Ford's hourly work force can be on the lower tier, plus all the workers at parts-making plants in Ypsilanti Township and Sterling Heights, Mich.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2007, 07:02:18 AM »

22,000 massachusetts health care workers join SEIU.

http://www.workdayminnesota.org/index.php?news_6_3368

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2008, 05:59:55 AM »

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
One of the big reasons that American car companies are struggling is that they have been forced to 'promise' too much stuff to the unions in the past. While the decisions were good for the workers, they were bad for the companies. I don't think that unions have been necessary for a few decades now.

so what car company your daddy own?

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »
Dad-Toyota
Mom-Scion
Grandpa-Toyota

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
Although, American cars are starting to appeal to me (for the first time ever).  New looks, improved reliability-that's all ever wanted American car companies to do. 

The new chevy malibu looks particularly good.  If I were in the market for a midsized car, I would definately take a look at it.  If it were just as reliable as the Accord or Camery, I would probably choose the Malibu (the accord is more of a full size car-too big and the camery is wierd looking). 

I never disliked American cars because of unions (or because they are American made)-they were always ugly, cheap (not in the good way), and much more unreliable.  Look at the cars made in the late 70s and 80s.  I will gladly buy American once they get things turned around (which it looks like they are close to doing).

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
One of the big reasons that American car companies are struggling is that they have been forced to 'promise' too much stuff to the unions in the past. While the decisions were good for the workers, they were bad for the companies. I don't think that unions have been necessary for a few decades now.

so what car company your daddy own?

Dad-Toyota
Mom-Scion
Grandpa-Toyota

caught ya!