Law School Discussion

Why Affirmative Action is Justified

parsley

Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #500 on: December 11, 2006, 07:27:09 AM »
I was joking. :)

It's because Red called me a retard on another thread. 

And I am sure I will get a snarky post in response no matter if I am snarky or not. 
Something dismissive like "you are so dumb it hurts." Or calling me "plebe".  Or maybe she'll get creative and come up with a whole new way of ignoring my point and insulting me. 

parsley

« Reply #501 on: December 11, 2006, 07:30:10 AM »
Like this?

You know what annoys me about you, parsnip? You thing you have something; you think you are somebody. I blame it on social promotion; it's enough to turn me into a eugenicist.

I will respond to the last several pages of commentary at some point in the reasonably near future.

And there we go.

You make an awful lot of logical leaps. I'm just asking you to fill in the gaps.  But saying I was socially promoted and that my parents should have been sterilized is apparently a good substitute. 

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: December 11, 2006, 08:23:24 AM »
Like this?

You know what annoys me about you, parsnip? You thing you have something; you think you are somebody. I blame it on social promotion; it's enough to turn me into a eugenicist.

I will respond to the last several pages of commentary at some point in the reasonably near future.

And there we go.

You make an awful lot of logical leaps. I'm just asking you to fill in the gaps.  But saying I was socially promoted and that my parents should have been sterilized is apparently a good substitute. 

I thought it was.

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »

I don't know if this has been covered, but the Steele/Aronson study is often misrepresented. The black and white groups were matched for similar SAT scores. So if they achieved similar results in the study when the "threat" was removed this means they performed exactly as they did in the horrible racist real world!

Let's say I took a group of white men and black men and matched them for running speeds. I then conducted two experiments where I artificially primed a stereotype and whites performed worse and then another where I didn't and both groups ran about the same speeds. Would anybody in their right mind conclude that whites were just as good sprinters on average as blacks and that the only reason a white man has never cracked ten seconds in the hundred is because of the stereotype threat?

:D

« Reply #507 on: February 13, 2007, 12:29:38 AM »
I think AA has taken on a pervasive nature that creates more animosity and tension between the races.  I understand the rationale behind it but I don't think its a good long-term policy for this nation.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 13, 2007, 06:50:39 AM »
I think AA has taken on a pervasive nature that creates more animosity and tension between the races.  I understand the rationale behind it but I don't think its a good long-term policy for this nation.

Pervasive in what sense?

« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2007, 01:11:22 PM »
Even the authors of this study have acknowledged that stereotype threat can affect any group.
"Empirical support for our contention that stereotype threat can affect the
member of nearly any stereotyped social group is now abundant."
 Are we supposed to account for sterotype threat in every single test situation when there is a likelihood that one of the groups might feel sterotype threat?   Seems a little silly to me.

http://www.drl.tcu.edu/PoB/PoB_Lectures/social_cognition/stereotypes/Stereotype_Threat.pdf

I don't mind einstein and lickandstick's questions & confusions. The truth is that many people entering law school are just plain dumb and will come out even dumber and armed with JDs. The thing is to do one's best to complicate their puerile and simplistic ways of thinking. That's what this thread is for. As long as no-one responds to an obvious troll like big bossman, I'm not inclined to lock it.

Redemption never answered my question.