Law School Discussion

Why Affirmative Action is Justified

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #470 on: December 08, 2006, 11:52:15 AM »
If anyone answers this fool in my thread, they'll answer to me.

Thanks.

:D :D :D

And what questions will you be posing?

redemption

« Reply #471 on: December 08, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »
Wait, you're here? Hi!

:-*

Questions like, Can Melanie and I post in the OPC all day? Like that.  8)

Indulge the troll elsewhere. There are plenty of threads for that. He lives on your oxygen.

okay.. ciao

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2006, 11:58:10 AM »
Wait, you're here? Hi!

:-*

Questions like, Can Melanie and I post in the OPC all day? Like that.  8)

Indulge the troll elsewhere. There are plenty of threads for that. He lives on your oxygen.

okay.. ciao

Trust me, I have paid no heed to the troll.

Also, no, you can't post there all day.   :D

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 08, 2006, 12:01:53 PM »

The reason for this is apparent.  Engineering attracts people with above average IQs, I think the average IQ for a scientist, which essentially is an engineer, is in the 130-140 range.  That is really high considering 100 is the average IQ of the population.

This particular "fact" is hilarious.

Buddy, the line for "genius" (top 2% of the population) lies around 140.  I'm telling you right now that the average scientist (and especially the average engineer) is not a genius.

This may be true for the average engineer in academia.  Even there I'd be highly suspicious.  Now stop being a fucktard and leave this thread alone.

Well I got that statistic from some show a long time ago on TV.  It was a game show where they pitted the different professions against each other.  The highest IQ average were the scientists and they claimed the average was between 130-140 I don't remember the exact statistic but I remember it was lower than what I tested at in the third grade at a 145.

So the average probably was on the low end of what I was stating.  Probably in the 130s. 

Not even.  It's time for you to start figuring out what's bull and what isn't.

Clearly, these are credible sources describing the entire population under scrutiny.   ::)

Dude, you are missing my point entirely.  I trying to show that engineering attacts people that have higher intelligence than the average person would have.  Now, if you graduate engineering then you are way more intelligent than the average person.  I know many many many people that dropped out of the major.  They would then transfer to business or history majors.

Of course one could argue that engineering just takes a different type of thinking, and then you start getting into the def. of intelligence.  

Plus, how are you sooo sure that engineers dont have an average IQ of 130?  I am a 145 and I didn't have the highest GPA in my class...

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2006, 12:03:27 PM »
Ok here is your proof..

http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq04.htm

Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ Description % of Population
130+ Very superior 2.2%
120-129 Superior 6.7%
110-119 High average 16.1%
90-109 Average 50%
80-89 Low average 16.1%
70-79 Borderline 6.7%
Below 70 Extremely low 2.2%

Apparently, the IQ gives a good indication of the occupational group that a person will end up in, though not of course the specific occupation. In their book, Know Your Child’s IQ, Glen Wilson and Diana Grylls outline occupations typical of various IQ levels:

140 Top Civil Servants; Professors and Research Scientists.
130 Physicians and Surgeons; Lawyers; Engineers (Civil and Mechanical)
120 School Teachers; Pharmacists; Accountants; Nurses; Stenographers; Managers.
110 Foremen; Clerks; Telephone Operators; Salesmen; Policemen; Electricians.
100+ Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers.
100- Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
90 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »

The reason for this is apparent.  Engineering attracts people with above average IQs, I think the average IQ for a scientist, which essentially is an engineer, is in the 130-140 range.  That is really high considering 100 is the average IQ of the population.

This particular "fact" is hilarious.

Buddy, the line for "genius" (top 2% of the population) lies around 140.  I'm telling you right now that the average scientist (and especially the average engineer) is not a genius.

This may be true for the average engineer in academia.  Even there I'd be highly suspicious.  Now stop being a fucktard and leave this thread alone.

Well I got that statistic from some show a long time ago on TV.  It was a game show where they pitted the different professions against each other.  The highest IQ average were the scientists and they claimed the average was between 130-140 I don't remember the exact statistic but I remember it was lower than what I tested at in the third grade at a 145.

So the average probably was on the low end of what I was stating.  Probably in the 130s. 

Not even.  It's time for you to start figuring out what's bull and what isn't.

Clearly, these are credible sources describing the entire population under scrutiny.   ::)

Dude, you are missing my point entirely.  I trying to show that engineering attacts people that have higher intelligence than the average person would have.  Now, if you graduate engineering then you are way more intelligent than the average person.  I know many many many people that dropped out of the major.  They would then transfer to business or history majors.

I am, in fact, not missing your point.

I am telling you your point is utter and absolute horseshit.  Now stop being a fucktard.

Of course one could argue that engineering just takes a different type of thinking, and then you start getting into the def. of intelligence. 

Wow, you'd need to do that to have a debate about who's smarter than whom?  Who woulda thunk it?

Plus, how are you sooo sure that engineers dont have an average IQ of 130?  I am a 145 and I didn't have the highest GPA in my class...

This is why you're failing the LSAT, idiot.

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #476 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:02 PM »
Ok here is your proof..

http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq04.htm

Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ Description % of Population
130+ Very superior 2.2%
120-129 Superior 6.7%
110-119 High average 16.1%
90-109 Average 50%
80-89 Low average 16.1%
70-79 Borderline 6.7%
Below 70 Extremely low 2.2%

Apparently, the IQ gives a good indication of the occupational group that a person will end up in, though not of course the specific occupation. In their book, Know Your Child’s IQ, Glen Wilson and Diana Grylls outline occupations typical of various IQ levels:

140 Top Civil Servants; Professors and Research Scientists.
130 Physicians and Surgeons; Lawyers; Engineers (Civil and Mechanical)
120 School Teachers; Pharmacists; Accountants; Nurses; Stenographers; Managers.
110 Foremen; Clerks; Telephone Operators; Salesmen; Policemen; Electricians.
100+ Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers.
100- Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
90 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.

*holds head in hands*

*shakes head slowly*

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 08, 2006, 12:07:06 PM »
Einstein once said "Great spirits have always incountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #478 on: December 08, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
Einstein once said "Great minds have always incountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

I know how he feels.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 08, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »
I miss quoted.. He actually said "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"  Sorry..