Law School Discussion

Why Affirmative Action is Justified

Big Bossman

• Cobb County GA baby...
    • View Profile
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2006, 05:25:04 AM »
There are quite a few studies that demonstrate that blacks - on average - are less intelligent than other racial groups.  If you want to continue the backwards ways of Affirmative Action, that's fine... but what you're going to end up with is an overall less intelligent incoming class than what would be possible if accepting only the strongest candidates.

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2006, 06:39:16 AM »
There are studies that demonstrate that secondhand smoking - on average - is actually beneficial to your health.  If you want to continue the backwards anti-smoking campaigns, that's fine... but what you're going to end up with is an overall less healthy population than what would be possible if allowing smoking in all public areas.

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »
There are quite a few studies that demonstrate that blacks - on average - are less intelligent than other racial groups.  If you want to continue the backwards ways of Affirmative Action, that's fine... but what you're going to end up with is an overall less intelligent incoming class than what would be possible if accepting only the strongest candidates.

go back to xoxo shithead

hth

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2006, 10:16:17 AM »
Stereotype threat the threat, perceived by persons who are the target of stereotypes, that they will be evaluated in terms of these stereotypes (Steele, 1997).

So I am an engineer. And engineers are known for not having the best reading comprehension skills... which is practically the entire LSAT. 

I could be classified under the stereotype threat then.  Going into the exam I am thinking, "oh no you are an engineer and engineers do not do well on this exam because they think differently."

So therefore, I am a victim of stereotype threat as mentioned by the OP. 

This should give me at least a few extra points on the LSAT due to the obvious bias of the LSAT against engineers.   

1.  Find me some statistical evidence supporting this claim.  We have evidence that the scores of equally intelligent and educated test-takers vary by race.  Lacking that bias against engineers, we don't even get to stereotype threat in your absurd little "refutation" (and IIRC, engineers are one of the highest-performing "groups" (sorted by major) to take the LSAT).

2.  See, Anna's comment above.

Yes it is true that engineers are one of the professions that score higher on the LSAT.  They do not score the highest, but they are in the top 12.  Look here for proof

http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/economics/undergrad/table.htm

The reason for this is apparent.  Engineering attracts people with above average IQs, I think the average IQ for a scientist, which essentially is an engineer, is in the 130-140 range.  That is really high considering 100 is the average IQ of the population.

Now, if you have the same concentration of people regarding IQ scores.  I guarantee you that someone that is a philosophy major as opposed to an engineer, will perform better on the reading intensive LSAT. 

But since the concentration of intelligence in other majors is not as high as it is in engineering, then the average score of these other majors on the LSAT will sometimes be lower.

Plus I think the average score for an engineer is a 153.  And philosophy/clergy types score in the 156-157 range on average. 

So my argument is that I score lower on the LSAT than my intellectually equivalent counterparts in other majors, due to my engineering background.  Growing up, my father would watch me play with calculators for hours... and one day he said "son you should be an engineer".  So here I am, it was a choice on my part, but it was the major that most fit my way of thinking.  And knowing that engineers have a hard time with reading comprehension, I therefore, score lower on the LSAT due to it's biased toward engineers. 

Engineers are proven to score lower on the reading comprehension or verbal parts of any standardized exam.  Look it up if you don't believe me. 

The first number is the average LSAT score for that major and the second number is how many people where averaged from that major.

1 Physics/ Math 157.6 689 1
2 Philosophy/ Religion 156.0 1,884
3 Economics 155.3 2,916
4 International Relations 155.1 1,546
5 Chemistry 154.5 893 7
6 Government/ Service 154.4 812   
7 Anthropology/ Geography 154.1 898

8 History 154.0 5,819
9 English 153.7 6,324
10 Biology 153.6 1,858
11 Other Social Science 153.2 2,609
12 Engineering 152.7 2,656
13 Foreign Languages 152.5 2,002
14 Finance 152.2 2,009

15 Computer Science 152.2 468
16 Psychology 151.9 3,977
17 Accounting 151.8 2,340
18 Political Science 151.6 15,388
19 Communication/ Arts 150.7 3,898
20 Marketing/ Real Estate 150.0 1,826
21 Liberal Arts 149.8 1,148     

22 Management 149.4 2,735     
23 Sociology/Social work 149.3 3,129
24 Bus. Administration 148.6 2,111
25 Health Profession 148.6 984
26 Education 148.2 823
27 No major given 147.6 5,289
28 Prelaw 147.3 1,076
29 Criminology 145.8 3,960

Weighted mean 151.6 82,067   151.9 75,620

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2006, 11:01:44 AM »

The reason for this is apparent.  Engineering attracts people with above average IQs, I think the average IQ for a scientist, which essentially is an engineer, is in the 130-140 range.  That is really high considering 100 is the average IQ of the population.

This particular "fact" is hilarious.

Buddy, the line for "genius" (top 2% of the population) lies around 140.  I'm telling you right now that the average scientist (and especially the average engineer) is not a genius.

This may be true for the average engineer in academia.  Even there I'd be highly suspicious.  Now stop being a fucktard and leave this thread alone.

Big Bossman

• Cobb County GA baby...
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2006, 11:37:01 AM »
Ha ha ha.

Someone has an inferiority complex. Keep it up, big boy. Someday you'll feel better about yourself.

(FYI - those studies, they're pretty much ridiculous. I hope that you, as a potential law student and attorney, could figure out why that is)

Stop apologizing for the weaker race.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2006, 11:41:35 AM »

Buddy, the line for "genius" (top 2% of the population) lies around 140.  I'm telling you right now that the average scientist (and especially the average engineer) is not a genius.

This may be true for the average engineer in academia.  Even there I'd be highly suspicious.  Now stop being a fucktard and leave this thread alone.

Well I got that statistic from some show a long time ago on TV.  It was a game show where they pitted the different professions against each other.  The highest IQ average were the scientists and they claimed the average was between 130-140 I don't remember the exact statistic but I remember it was lower than what I tested at in the third grade at a 145.

So the average probably was on the low end of what I was stating.  Probably in the 130s.  

Big Bossman

• Cobb County GA baby...
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2006, 11:43:43 AM »
There are studies that demonstrate that secondhand smoking - on average - is actually beneficial to your health.  If you want to continue the backwards anti-smoking campaigns, that's fine... but what you're going to end up with is an overall less healthy population than what would be possible if allowing smoking in all public areas.

Face it... the black brain has developed differently (and less effectively) than those of other races.  Few argue that blacks generally demonstrate greater athletic prowess than whites due to variations in physical development; on the other hand, whites have developed superior mental capabilities.  There are exceptions to the rule... but in a general sense, it's quite correct, as racist as it might sound to all of you maggots.

redemption

« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
If anyone answers this fool in my thread, they'll answer to me.

Thanks.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »

Well I got that statistic from some show a long time ago on TV.  It was a game show where they pitted the different professions against each other.  The highest IQ average were the scientists and they claimed the average was between 130-140 I don't remember the exact statistic but I remember it was lower than what I tested at in the third grade at a 145.

So the average probably was on the low end of what I was stating.  Probably in the 130s. 

Not even.  It's time for you to start figuring out what's bull and what isn't.

Clearly, these are credible sources describing the entire population under scrutiny.   ::)