Law School Discussion

Why Affirmative Action is Justified

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #450 on: September 06, 2006, 03:36:50 AM »
Yes, usually when a pinko fag says something around here, it's worth the read.

Does this mean we're talking again?  I told you, I'm sorry about blowing you off in that bar, I honestly thought you were HD, and she's getting kind of creepy.

Everyone, you should know that Spaulding's lying.  I have never been blown off in any bar, even in southern New England.  Also, I am approximately 71 inches shorter than HD, and no one could ever confuse us.

Holy *&^%.  That makes you, like... 6 feet tall!

jorge

« Reply #451 on: September 12, 2006, 04:34:01 AM »
When I saw that "some fag" had posted "leftist drivel," I had no idea that it was Thou.  :o

jorge

« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2006, 10:47:45 AM »
Indeed.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 12, 2006, 03:37:35 PM »
I also thought it was funny.  Anyway, if you find any fags around here who do post leftist drivel, let me know.  I'm still looking for a buddy.

jorge

« Reply #454 on: September 12, 2006, 11:25:48 PM »
The much feared leftist drip is transmitted especially well via homosex.

« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »
Hmmm, my post was responded to...OK...I guess I think I need to say something...

I mentioned that the feeling of having to prove oneself was essentially sterotype threat...this was responded to with:

"No, it's not.  Your examples do not include people who belong to a group with certain stereotypes that would affect their performance."

But I say my examples include people who would feel the exact way minorities would feel under stereotype threat.  According to the passage all stereotype threat really amounts to is trying too hard because people will think you are stupid if you fail.  How does this apply to minorities any differently than my previously  mentioned examples?  In my opinion, they are sufficiently similar to justify comparison.     

My point about the use of practicality in the argument behind AA stems from the idea that less people would be opposed to practical ideas than they would be to scholastically derived hypotheses.  Of course I have no proof of this claim.     

« Reply #456 on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:26 AM »
"The reasoning in forming and the justification for using practical ideas are almost undoubtedly scholastically derived hypotheses."

First of all, I'm surprised that one a very general statement I made would be the point of confrontation...but I can think of many examples of forming and justifying practical ideas that have not come from scholastically derived hypothesis.  As one example: fire.  Also, I'm not personally saying the two are "antithetical" (a wonderful word of the day) for myself, but they may be to other supporters and naysayers of affirmitive action.   

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2006, 07:21:11 AM »
Stereotype threat the threat, perceived by persons who are the target of stereotypes, that they will be evaluated in terms of these stereotypes (Steele, 1997).

So I am an engineer. And engineers are known for not having the best reading comprehension skills... which is practically the entire LSAT. 

I could be classified under the stereotype threat then.  Going into the exam I am thinking, "oh no you are an engineer and engineers do not do well on this exam because they think differently."

So therefore, I am a victim of stereotype threat as mentioned by the OP. 

This should give me at least a few extra points on the LSAT due to the obvious bias of the LSAT against engineers.   

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »
Stereotype threat the threat, perceived by persons who are the target of stereotypes, that they will be evaluated in terms of these stereotypes (Steele, 1997).

So I am an engineer. And engineers are known for not having the best reading comprehension skills... which is practically the entire LSAT. 

I could be classified under the stereotype threat then.  Going into the exam I am thinking, "oh no you are an engineer and engineers do not do well on this exam because they think differently."

So therefore, I am a victim of stereotype threat as mentioned by the OP. 

This should give me at least a few extra points on the LSAT due to the obvious bias of the LSAT against engineers.   

It must suck that you're an engineer because you were born to engineer parents, and had no say in the matter.  ::)

But to be fair, the negative stereotypes about engineers are far more pervasive in our society than negative stereotypes about African-Americans and Hispanics.  :)

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: December 07, 2006, 01:09:57 PM »
Besides, I don't see how engineers would have any qualms about writing what essentially amounts to a logic test.