Law School Discussion

Why Affirmative Action is Justified

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2006, 01:45:09 PM »
I don't begrudge the wealthy kids for being supported for a year while spending thousands on test prep and tutors because it games the system for everyone who can't.

I do.

Why?

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »
I do, as well.  But only when they take it for granted, and then have the temerity to wonder aloud why other kids are so pathetic that they cannot perform comparibly.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
Why?

That's one of the benefits of building wealth, you can afford to give your children certain advantages that others cannot. Is it fair that the child born to an alcoholic father who never made 20 grand a year has to work 60 hours a week and prep for the LSAT on his own? No, it isnít, but as Americans weíve decided we donít like the consequences of rebalancing the scales to iron out this particular injustice.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »
Why?

That's one of the benefits of building wealth, you can afford to give your children certain advantages that others cannot. Is it fair that the child born to an alcoholic father who never made 20 grand a year has to work 60 hours a week and prep for the LSAT on his own? No, it isnít, but as Americans weíve decided we donít like the consequences of rebalancing the scales to iron out this particular injustice.

You're speaking for yourself and your ultra conservative pals there breadboy.
A lot of Americans disagree with you  :o

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 31, 2006, 04:38:31 PM »
Why?

You're speaking for yourself and your ultra conservative pals there breadboy.
A lot of Americans disagree with you  :o

Well, more confusing than all that is that BB chose to respond to Aerynn, who was saying precisely that she doesn't begrudge wealthy kids their privileges.  There's some disconnect.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2006, 04:53:02 PM »
Can someone quote the links I posted in this thread somewhere from p. 1-3? I'd like to delete my posts but I think they might still be useful.

Here you go:

Fascinating thread overall... I believe in the stereotype threat!

One point I found interesting, the very last bit about how African-Americans' blood pressure was higher during some tests. I've often wondered whether blacks' higher rates of high blood pressure and heart disease in the population weren't due to the stress of being black in this society, rather than some kind of genetic predisposition. They oughtta do a study...

I can help you with this one. Like Lily says, many studies have been done. And it can't be genetic because the bulk of African American genes come from West Africans and White Americans (with West Africans being ~60-75% depending on whether you consider Native Americans). Neither West Africans nor White Americans have rates of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, or other illnesses anywhere near those found in African Americans. In fact, I believe West Africans have some of the lowest rates of heart disease and high blood pressure in the world. Studies have strongly supported the idea that environmental factors are the reason African Americans have much poorer health outcomes than white Americans. I don't know how anyone can still think otherwise at this point in time (this is not a jab at you, BonkersJr, but at others who have access to info yet would rather peddle outdated ideas).

Here's an article:

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/110/af_blood/af_blood.html

The Puzzle of Hypertension in African-Americans

Genes are often invoked to account for why high blood pressure is so common among African-Americans. Yet the rates are low in Africans. This discrepancy demonstrates how genes and the environment interact.
I have a little time on my hands this morning so here's more on stereotype threat:

1. Here is the 1999 article on Stereotype Threat that appeared in the Atlantic Monthly (I believe it's the one others in the thread have referred to):

Thin ice: "stereotype threat" and black college students.

http://www2.newton.mec.edu/~gary_shiffman/Thin%20Ice

The article can also be accessed on the Atlantic Monthly site but that requires subscription (which you have to pay for, I think).

-----------------

2. Here's a short article in which researcher Claude Steele discusses Stereotype Threat:

Steele Discusses ďStereotype ThreatĒ

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/comm/csj/092404/steele.shtml

-----------------

Stereotype threat isn't just a black thing. Women face it too and so do other minorities in different contexts.

3. Here's a long article about the effect of stereotype threat on women in the context of solving mathematics problems:

The Interference of Stereotype Threat With Women's Generation of Mathematical Problem-Solving Strategies

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0341/is_1_57/ai_75140961
Quote from: Red.
I want, for example, to re-cite the study in which white male undergraduates with nearly perfect scores in the math portion of the SAT  - a group that is unlikely to have an innate inferiority complex - were asked to do a difficult math test. When they were primed to believe that the test was intended to figure out why Asians were better at math, they performed very poorly, and when they were not so primed, they performed very well.

Red, I think this is the study you're referring to:

http://www.drl.tcu.edu/PoB/PoB_Lectures/social_cognition/stereotypes/Stereotype_Threat.pdf#search='When%20white%20men%20can%27t%20do%20math%3A%20Necessary%20and%20sufficient%20factors%20in%20stereotype%20threat.'

When White Men Canít Do Math: Necessary and Sufficient Factors in Stereotype Threat

"We induced stereotype threat by invoking a comparison with a minority
group stereotyped to excel at math (Asians). As predicted, these stereotype-threatened
white males performed worse on a difficult math test than a nonstereotype-threatened
control group."

--------------

This is a slightly long read but a very, very fascinating one.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
Thank you, Miss P! :)

Have to act nice occasionally to throw people off-guard. ;)

Yoda, Esq.

• Bringing Sweet Forcelike Justice Beginning '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 01, 2006, 08:30:20 PM »
Why?

I like how this post makes it sounds like there was some sort of universal decision in the U.S.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #418 on: August 01, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
Every post by The Architect (nee Breadboy) borders on the farcical and is laced with lunacy.  If anyone is still taking him seriously, they only have themselves to blame.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 01, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
Every post by The Architect (nee Breadboy) borders on the farcical and is laced with lunacy.  If anyone is still taking him seriously, they only have themselves to blame.

Did someone get a shiny new thesaurus?