Labor/Employment
1 (2.2%)
Intellectual Property
5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread

Re: 2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »
My hair's at that awkward in-between stage where it looks rough unless you put that awful brown gel in your hair (heck naw.) As to the bolded, I don't think natural hair generally is a hindrance; I just think my hair in its current state might be a hindrance. Feel me?

I haven't read posts after this one...but my first question is how long is your hair?
second question- why don't you feel it's professionally acceptable yet?

my locs were pretty short for OCI and as I said in another thread..with your credentials alone you won't have any problems landing a firm job that meets your standards mob...

I'd say the wig is a bad idea..not because of dishonesty or any of the other questions you posed..but this is a journey that you've decided to go on so I think that it would be in your best interest to stay true to it...I can't accept you thinking that it would be a hindrance to your legal career..

I've already told Alci and OSA this, but I'm heavily leaning toward wearing a wig for my firm interviews. 

My hair hasn't grown out enough yet, and while I think it's cute and funky-looking, it's not professionally acceptable yet. 

Is this a bad idea?  Is it dishonest?  How is it different from people wearing the conk or braid extensions, if at all?

scurred1

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2006, 06:01:42 AM »
I don't know about the braids, ladies. I went on two interviews for 1L summer jobs with my braids in and the interviewers kept staring at them the whole time! They were pulled back in a ponytail, too. I didn't get either of those gigs, even though I thought the interview went well otherwise. Of course, it could have been all in my head but I'm just saying..

The next interview I took out my braids and wore my natural in a tight bun and I didn't get any weird vibes. I ended up at a good firm this summer but I've never worn braids to work; I always keep my hair pulled back. It's a huge compromise but I really wanted to make money this summer.  :-\ For 2l OCI, I'll most likely rock the bun again although I'd really prefer to wear my hair in two-strand twists. But the way I see it, I need the job more than I need to wear my hair in twists. It might be different for other folks.

faith2005

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2006, 07:03:59 AM »
i wore my hair in twists for one i-view and i got it blwon out for a couple of others. I ended up with the job where I wore my hair in twists. I don't think it made much of a difference, but maybe it did.

Mo--put the brown gel in there and keep it moving. or use some clear gel, and it might be less tight, but thats 1000 times better than a wig. seriously. I think its b/c you're from the south that you think its acceptable to wear a wig, (when you mentioned it last year I was extremely shocked. I thought you were older than you are) but I never see people my age wearing wigs (esp. not at a professional level) unless they have some type of issue (chemo/alopecia etc.)

db--why not just brush your hair back into a bun. Aren't you in the bay? why would you be worried about your hair in the bay? Are you interviewing in Texas or somethin?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2006, 07:49:02 AM »
lol faith

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2006, 09:17:27 AM »
Mob I knew what you meant (regarding hindrance for the moment).. and Please do not use that icky ass brown gel lol.... my scalp started itching as i read that lol... I'm going to plug this product again

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Grooming Pomade even when my locks were short I use Pomade to twist the roots...the pomade actually gives a more polished look than the regular gel..

how do you twist your roots? I go to the right twisting as tightly as I possibly can to catch as much new growth as possible...

did you start your locs as two strands or coils? I never had two strands so I don't even know how to advise if that's the route that you've taken...

I had a rough stage too..one loc would lay forward every now and then when I was trying to get them to lay back...

suggestion..when you wash your hair and twist..pin your hair back and sit under a dryer..that'll usually keep them going in one direction...

do you have spaces between your locs or are they close to one another?

please don't do the wig... I remember someone getting a sew in over their locs for their OCI.. I just shook my head :-\....

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2006, 11:21:21 AM »
i wore my hair in twists for one i-view and i got it blwon out for a couple of others. I ended up with the job where I wore my hair in twists. I don't think it made much of a difference, but maybe it did.

Mo--put the brown gel in there and keep it moving. or use some clear gel, and it might be less tight, but thats 1000 times better than a wig. seriously. I think its b/c you're from the south that you think its acceptable to wear a wig, (when you mentioned it last year I was extremely shocked. I thought you were older than you are) but I never see people my age wearing wigs (esp. not at a professional level) unless they have some type of issue (chemo/alopecia etc.)

db--why not just brush your hair back into a bun. Aren't you in the bay? why would you be worried about your hair in the bay? Are you interviewing in Texas or somethin?

Hi Faith ... I do usually just pull my hair back - I'm not worried about humidity, I just thought my hair looks kind of boring and wanted something different, yet professional. I would like to think my personality would matter more than my hair, but you never know  :-\

justGem

• Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »
Mob I knew what you meant (regarding hindrance for the moment).. and Please do not use that icky ass brown gel lol.... my scalp started itching as i read that lol... I'm going to plug this product again

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Grooming Pomade even when my locks were short I use Pomade to twist the roots...the pomade actually gives a more polished look than the regular gel..

how do you twist your roots? I go to the right twisting as tightly as I possibly can to catch as much new growth as possible...

did you start your locs as two strands or coils? I never had two strands so I don't even know how to advise if that's the route that you've taken...

I had a rough stage too..one loc would lay forward every now and then when I was trying to get them to lay back...

suggestion..when you wash your hair and twist..pin your hair back and sit under a dryer..that'll usually keep them going in one direction...

do you have spaces between your locs or are they close to one another?

please don't do the wig... I remember someone getting a sew in over their locs for their OCI.. I just shook my head :-\....

I actually like this product....while I'm not exactly in the natural category, growing up in a house full of locs and doing natural hair to get by in undergrad,  I know a thing or two.   I also like optimum's creme hairdress.  It's not great for hair that's still trying to lock but its great for working with natural hair, although I don't think that was it's intended purpose (I consider this product my little secret for doing hair)

faith2005

« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2006, 12:34:46 PM »
does your family consider you a sell-out for having a permanent gemini?  :D  ;) don't answer that--it might be self incrimination. sorry to hijack guys. lol

justGem

• Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »
does your family consider you a sell-out for having a permanent gemini?  :D  ;) don't answer that--it might be self incrimination. sorry to hijack guys. lol

:D :D :D Not at all....my mom has dreads and you might catch her rocking a blond weave. Sometimes she will just wear her dreads, albeit they are guranteed to be a different color each month, and other times she will have a weave of dreads. My sisters are the same way.  The point is, for the women in our family the number one factor when it comes to hair is versatility.   

I might tomatoes thrown at me for this comment but I hope you don't opt for the locs. I like your hair the way it is  ;)  It seems like you are able to come up with a lot of creative hairdos with the way it is now.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2006, 10:53:07 PM »
Hi again everyone ...

My attempts to politely back out of my interviews @ one of the job fairs didn't work out too well.  :-[
I was told (although not in so many words), that I am basically an unappreciative b!tch.
Believe me I don't want to lose any opportunities - I was told I could contact the firms directly and see if they will interview me, but I'm also trying to figure out a way to smooth things over with the coordinator.
Ideas?