Law School Discussion

Opus Dei: More fun than it appears on first blush?

Miss P

• View Profile
Opus Dei: More fun than it appears on first blush?
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »
So, not being a Dan Brown fan or anything, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Opus Dei beyond its politics.  Imagine my surprise to read a NYT op-ed about Opus Dei this morning and learn about the doctine of corporal mortification.  Do you all know about this stuff? 

The cilice?

The discipline?

The heroic minute?

Now this is kind of hot, no?

redemption

Re: Opus Dei: More fun than it appears on first blush?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:39:36 PM »
Haha. Of course. And yes, it's not exactly chaste, is it?

(Congrats, btw  ;))

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »
Haha. Of course. And yes, it's not exactly chaste, is it?

No, ma'am!  Serviam!

(And thank you.  It's nice to have someone pay attention to what's behind my pretty face every once in a while!)

redemption

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »
Gladstone - probably the most interesting man to have ever been Prime Minister (with the possible exception of Lloyd George), would, when was in office, leave Downing Street to walk through London and find prostitutes. He would bring them back, give them a cup of cocoa, a dinner, and lecture them on how it would be best if they left their profession and reformed their ways. He would then give them some money, and send them on their way.

Later, at bedtime, he would note these occasions in his diary with two whips drawn next to the date.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »
Fantastic.  I was hoping for this kind of thing when I started the thread, but I couldn't have dreamed of a better anecdote.