Law School Discussion

OMFG

redemption

Re: OMFG
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
Unfortunately people appear too cowardly to outright state that they are racist -- nb. breadboy.

if they did, however, we would move on to psychoanalytic territory to explain it and keep it interesting for all

redemption

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 07:04:05 AM »
Possible? Sure.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 07:06:22 AM »
I forgot who it was but somebody in the news recently said that racism isnt possible against white people.   Thats a load of crap.  If a pasty white person goes to a basketball court and tries to get in on some pickup games hes got almost no chance.  Its definitely not the biggest deal when it comes to racism, but racism exists against all races.

redemption

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 07:07:29 AM »
Possible? Sure.

Possible and actual.

Actual? Not that I've noticed on this board; not yet. Could be that I'm not paying enough attention, however.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 07:09:47 AM »
It was on MSNBC news or something like that when i was trying to fall asleep either last night or the night before.  It wasnt one of their analysts, it was someone that they were talking about.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »
Yeah, my family is kind of funny.  On one side of my family you have a bunch of extremely religious white people who are racist against both african-americans and hispanics.  On the other side you have both white and black people who arent that religious but arent racist against any race at all.

redemption

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 07:20:57 AM »
Possible? Sure.

Possible and actual.

Actual? Not that I've noticed on this board; not yet. Could be that I'm not paying enough attention, however.

What if a non-racist opposed AA due to grounds that AA (as an implemented policy) itself is racist?

or, how about this trivial example:

A white racist boards a bus and sees only one available seat, which is next to an african-american.  He/she is a racist and for racist reasons does not sit in that seat.  Rather he/she continues to the back of the bus (near another white individual) and stands and holds the hand-hold.

The next stop.  A non-racist boards the bus.  She/he sees the one available seat but does not sit in it because she/he simply prefers to stand.  She/he stands and holds the hand-hold next to the african-american passenger

You're telling me the motivation of the persons standing in the second hypo. hard to argue that the person is motivated by race when you flatly claim that they're not.

In the first hypo, I'd lead off with a discussion of why AA is "racist". The answer, in mst cases, will be flimsy and the disparity between the strength of the conviction and the weakness of the rationale would lead to further exploration.

redemption

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 07:21:26 AM »
meh.  i wonder if red believes i'm racist.

I thought you said you were?  ;)

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 07:21:53 AM »
A white racist boards a bus and sees only one available seat, which is next to an african-american.  He/she is a racist and for racist reasons does not sit in that seat.  Rather he/she continues to the back of the bus (near another white individual) and stands and holds the hand-hold.

The next stop.  A non-racist boards the bus.  She/he sees the one available seat but does not sit in it because she/he simply prefers to stand.  She/he stands and holds the hand-hold next to the african-american passenger.

i think her point is that most people fall into the racist category.

that's my point too!  just not all

perhaps my claim is weak.  but I believe it is valid.

I don't think it's weak, and I agree that it's valid.  Of course, this should come as no suprise since I started the thread...

redemption

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 07:22:50 AM »
It was on MSNBC news or something like that when i was trying to fall asleep either last night or the night before.  It wasnt one of their analysts, it was someone that they were talking about.

Watching cable news is bad for your brain cells. js