Law School Discussion

OMFG

veg

Re: OMFG
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »
everyone is a little bit racist.

especially margee. she could be a skinheads girlfriend.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 10:14:05 AM »
One of my favorite broadway songs is from Avenue Q....'Everyone's a Little Bit Racist'.  Crap its funny ...and true

redemption

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 05:50:09 AM »
This thread interests me

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 06:07:46 AM »
I think virtually every controversy and issue in America has elements of race in it, sometimes right up front and sometimes lurking in the background. But it's always there. You can try to deny this, but it just makes more sense to acknowledge it and deal with it.

redemption

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 06:19:18 AM »
I think virtually every controversy and issue in America has elements of race in it, sometimes right up front and sometimes lurking in the background. But it's always there. You can try to deny this, but it just makes more sense to acknowledge it and deal with it.

Credited. And it's quite easy to expose, if one isn't squeamish about it.

This thread interests me

are you joking  ???

The original post interests me; everything after that, not so much.

jorge

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 06:24:38 AM »
This thread interests me
I thought it was in response to something you said in the "This board makes me feel like a conservative thread. I'm frequently wrong about these things, though.

redemption

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 06:33:18 AM »
I tend to look for the structure of the argument rather than to the conclusion. It's more revealing that way. My inclination is to try to slowly get people to shift the grounds for their conclusions until they see that those conclusions are groundless unless framed in terms of who they care about and who they don't. Unfortunately, there's too much white noise in LSD threads to make that happen effectively.

redemption

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 06:34:30 AM »
This thread interests me
I thought it was in response to something you said in the "This board makes me feel like a conservative thread. I'm frequently wrong about these things, though.

Well, yes. Of course it was that.  ;)

cyberrev

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 06:41:54 AM »
I tend to look for the structure of the argument rather than to the conclusion. It's more revealing that way. My inclination is to try to slowly get people to shift the grounds for their conclusions until they see that those conclusions are groundless unless framed in terms of who they care about and who they don't. Unfortunately, there's too much white noise in LSD threads to make that happen effectively.

it's generally not a good idea to tell people what your strategy is.

unless it's an unstoppable force, much like the us' policy of massive retaliation in the event of a nuclear strike.

redemption

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 06:48:10 AM »

it's generally not a good idea to tell people what your strategy is.

unless it's an unstoppable force, much like the us' policy of massive retaliation in the event of a nuclear strike.

rev understands  :)

Plat:

An example; when someone says I'm anti-AA, for example, and speaks of "fairness" and "merit", I find it interesting and  am inclined to ask them to explore the terms merit and fairness, and go from there.

Another: when someone starts a thread on "muslim culture", I ask why they frame somoe actions and words by some individuals in terms of "islam" as opposed to something else, and work from there.

etc.

Much more interesting that way, for me definitely, and for them too, hopefully.