Law School Discussion

the p-dub club >> remember, you only live once

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
Re: the p-dub club >> remember, you only live once
« Reply #29170 on: February 01, 2007, 06:17:57 PM »
Well if she returns and still has needs, I'll see what I can do. And hi! How does it feel to have 1/6+ of Law school done?

It feels good! How does it feel to be just this side of being done?

Honestly, until I finish my character and fitness application, not any better. Finishing 1L proved more gratifying than finishing last semester. Oh and Trial Ad is a blast folks you really should take it.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29171 on: February 01, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »
Nah I know of no deaths at DePaul and darn you, I didn't correct my spelling fast enough.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29172 on: February 01, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »
heh, i didn't even notice that

what's trial ad?  i mean, trial advocacy i assume, but what's that as a class?

In trial ad 1, you practice direct and cross examinations of witnesses. Direct isn't as fun as cross. In cross, you make people sound and look like fools. Plus, objecting makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside - even when the prof overrules me. "Objection your honor, he's leading the witness!" (on direct) "Counsel please rephrase your question." "Objection your honor he's still leading the witness!" "Counsel please try not to lead your witness." 3 questions later "Objection your honor, he's leading again." "Technically you're correct, but you don't want to become tedious to the jury, you need to decide when to and when not to object."

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29173 on: February 01, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
Oh it's fun alright. Besides that, you have to apply strategy against anticipated arguments by the opposing counsel. On direct you attempt to elicit negative testimony to take the "sting" out of cross. On cross, you try to trip up the witness in an apparent (or actual) lie. You really must pay attention not only to raise objections, but also to what the opposing counsel does and does not ask the witness and how the witness answers.

For instance, this summer I observed an actual non-binding arbitration hearing where my boss forgot to ask a cop if he used his police report to refresh his memory before testifying - in order to get it into evidence. Because he didn't ask this question, the opposing counsel succesfully objected to the report's admittance into evidence. Ouch!

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29174 on: February 01, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »
hope you can digest this freak...an oldie but a goodie...aye miss phanatic. :'( :'(

aye cannot look into a person's heart and judge and say absolutely "this person is a racist"...aye think that there are signs that point to a person's ignorance and then reaching toward hate...so to a magna degree one could pass a verdict that yes, indeed one believes that a person like...let's see...hmmm...a character like archie bunker...fictional...but there are people like him in reality...are, all points ashore...a "racist."...

looking into johnson's heart...hmm...maybe he was a racist...however, in 1965...pushing something like food stamps and welfare spending was to help poor, families...and racist or not it did help poorer african american's to keep their heads above water...as it did for other poor families...by the time he left office in 1968 welfare stamp recipients had quadroupled ...not to just point to african american's...but in todays society many people are preoccupied with the label "race"...[(personally aye scoff at the word race) it makes me think of the indy 500]...lbj and his crew wanted votes for democrats, yes...but it began under fdr and thus a welfare state was born...under fdr...johnson pushed food stamps and welfare spending and it geometrically increased after his presidency up to and past the 80's...my point is that...in order to build a monument...a foundation must be dug and it is tough, hard work, and you get your hands a little dirty with a primitive primary structure...the intentions are good...however as the monument structure gets built the cost and amount of raw materials increase...the cost of labor increases...perhaps a new contractor is brought in and the monument plans shift and one cannot forget the inevitable variable of time.

while a skeleton structure has high hopes...many variables alter its course and the guts and exo-skeleton WILL change along the way...needless to say one needs to begin somewhere...and everyone can second-guess...

hell, originally most african americans were on the side of republicans...today...african americans are mostly democrats...

so, the winds of change are always creating earthquakes and sometimes a tidal-wave may occur.

always fun to write this way...now, rip it to shreads...if ya can...because as aye see...most pre-law folk initially, at least seem to make for incapable poets and this will probably be too ambiguous to make heads or tails out of for future j.d.s

my thoughts drift to an other president who will be called by some people in the future kurdistan "the liberator".

Oh it's fun alright. Besides that, you have to apply strategy against anticipated arguments by the opposing counsel. On direct you attempt to elicit negative testimony to take the "sting" out of cross. On cross, you try to trip up the witness in an apparent (or actual) lie. You really must pay attention not only to raise objections, but also to what the opposing counsel does and does not ask the witness and how the witness answers.

For instance, this summer I observed an actual non-binding arbitration hearing where my boss forgot to ask a cop if he used his police report to refresh his memory before testifying - in order to get it into evidence. Because he didn't ask this question, the opposing counsel succesfully objected to the report's admittance into evidence. Ouch!

Julie Fern

• great grandpa mccain = warmonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29175 on: February 01, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
putz.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #29176 on: February 02, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
Oh my, I've had a most interesting evening

Extremely slow service at a restaurant leading to all free food after a 30+ minute wait since our waitress walked out and then we got to witness our 2nd waitress and the manager fighting

While there I learned that at least 3 people (one whom I almost never talk to) think I'm being arrogant about grades/dean's list... which makes me sad because I'm just so excited that I did well, since this is basically the best I've done in all of college and I just thought I would continue my streak of mediocrity.  I worked really hard and it bothers me that people think I'm trying to act like I'm smarter than them when really I'm just excited by my success here in the midst of people who all had 4.0 in UG (I did NOT have a 4.0 and I thought I would continue being the middle of the pack esp. after being out of school for so long, but I work my ass off here and I f-ing deserve it!).

Then we started beer challenge at a sketchy faux English pub with 255 beers with some friends and my crush, who is a total lightweight and was almost drunk after 2 beers (and by the way, in reference to working my ass off, SOME RANDOM 2L I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE came over to me and was like "I see you in the library all the time so I know you're a law student"  SEE?  SEE?  Why can't I enjoy my success when I work so hard?)

Now I'm to pick my crush up tomorrow morning at 8:15 so we can go study for Property at the library  :o

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #29177 on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:53 PM »
@#!* 'em.

Cady and I are proud of you, and we're the only ones who matter.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I just don't get it.  I act like an idiot some of the time and people underestimate me at first, but then they get pissed off when I'm excited about doing well.  I mean, maybe I have been a tad obsessive about the dean's list and a wee bit arrogant, but would they rather I talk smack all the time about how I went to UVA and how smart I am?  I don't think so.  Give me a week to be excited and don't be bitter about my excitement.  I worked so much harder than these people, so why do they have to be catty about it?  They could work hard like I did and barely have a life and they would've done well.  Sorry if I want to be happy about my efforts actually paying off, fuckers.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #29178 on: February 02, 2007, 08:54:48 PM »
It's true, Melanie, cheeks and i were talking about how proud we are of you earlier tonight

:'(

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I hewrat you guys

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #29179 on: February 02, 2007, 09:00:03 PM »
I'm glad that he grew up from a kitty cat to a panther

Cheeks, you better get back to south Florida-- my accent isn't even coming out in TN  :o