Law School Discussion

laptop

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #760 on: July 26, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »
I am looking for a decent bluetooth printer right now...or something with WIFI.

You can also buy print servers that allow you to connect a parallel port or USB printer to a network.  They start at $25 and go up.

Is this what Oingo is talking about?  Does it require just the box and a router?

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 26, 2006, 12:07:38 PM »
I am looking for a decent bluetooth printer right now...or something with WIFI.

You can also buy print servers that allow you to connect a parallel port or USB printer to a network.  They start at $25 and go up.

Is this what Oingo is talking about?  Does it require just the box and a router?

It's an all in one deal. The printer connects to the router via a USB connection. With the rebates I paid $30 for mine at CompUSA. It works really well for my wife and I (we both have laptops).

here is the link.....

http://www.usr.com/products/networking/wireless-product.asp?sku=USR5461

Oingo

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 19, 2007, 05:44:27 PM »
http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/buzzentry.jspa?threadID=2581

if you want an alternative to Micro$oft

can also use openoffice...

« Reply #763 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »
A few suggestions from a guy who sells technology for a living, but will be attending law school soon...
Light and portable is nice, but not the most important thing unless you plan on carrying it around a lot and/or care about how cool it is....
If you can afford it, go ahead and buy super light, ultra portable unit.  Just know that the cost will be high and the features may be reduced.  For instance, some ultra portables don't have optical drives, forcing you to purchase an external unit.
My advice?  Go for bang for the buck.  Core 2 duo procs are fantastic, but expensive.  I recommend at least a T2300 chipset, most of which run at 1.66 and are dual core.
I also recommend trying to find an XP professional OS.
Screen size is important if you want to use your laptop for anything other than just school.  Mine is a 15.4" widescreen model, and its plenty big.  Generally speaking, the lighter the notebook, the smaller the screen.  Some units out there with 14 inch screens are lighter.
Another piece of advice is to try and get your hands on the unit, even if it means going to best buy or some other brick and mortar.  Open a word doc (or notepad) and try typing out some text.  Not just a few words, mind you, but a paragraph or so.  A good keyboard is pretty key, since you will likely be spending time using it.
Lenovo's keyboards, for instance, are excellent with a good feel and great spacing.
Some units, like the one I use (Acer TM 4670) have a slight curve to them, which is a little more ergonomic.
In my experience, the sweet spot would be to spend a bit less and get a more powerful system with larger drives and dvd writer and spend money on a solid laptop bag that offers good space and excellent ergonomics.
In terms of accessories, I recommend the following, and most are for home use or working in a library...
USB or wireless keyboard
Optical mouse (wireless or USB as well)
USB number pad (using the number keys on the standard keyboard is a drag)
Extra battery
A good quality laptop bag
A decent warranty that includes accidental damage protection.  ADP warranties will keep your notebook safe in the event that it drops and/or the screen cracks.  This can save you a ton of money.
I like the following and suggest them regularly to my customers:
Lenovo T61
HP 6910
Acer Travelmate 3260
Sony Vaio BX series
Toshiba Tecra

Also, try to get at least 1 gig of ram.
And try to find a business class system.  Consumer grade systems tend to be less durable and fairly crappy.
If you are a mac guy, then you only have one choice and it's the macbook pro.
I do not recommend using a second hand or used system unless you have to.
Good luck.

« Reply #764 on: October 19, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
Just a word of advice: don't follow the hype about Lenovoes!Lenovo is not as good of a laptop company as they used to be. And this is coming from someone who brought a brand new laptop from them this summer. Every now and then i get the bluscreen of death! It is very annoying, and you have to restart your computer. And the worst part about this whole thing is that they refuse to help you out with this problem. Heed my words, don't buy Lenovo. It sucks.

« Reply #765 on: October 19, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »
Just a word of advice: don't follow the hype about Lenovoes!Lenovo is not as good of a laptop company as they used to be. And this is coming from someone who brought a brand new laptop from them this summer. Every now and then i get the bluscreen of death! It is very annoying, and you have to restart your computer. And the worst part about this whole thing is that they refuse to help you out with this problem. Heed my words, don't buy Lenovo. It sucks.

did you get a plain lenovo, or a lenovo thinkpad?  two diff things, the thinkpads are still made with IBM parts.  no one i know with a thinkpad has problems...and there are a bunch of them here.  i love my x61s.

« Reply #766 on: October 19, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »

did you get a plain lenovo, or a lenovo thinkpad?  two diff things, the thinkpads are still made with IBM parts.  no one i know with a thinkpad has problems...and there are a bunch of them here.  i love my x61s.
Thinkpad t61. And i know i'm not by far the only one with the blue screen of death. Tons of people complain about this. I just wish it doesn't happen during exams! Anyway, i definitely didn't pay 1400 bucks to worry about this.

« Reply #767 on: October 19, 2007, 08:27:11 PM »

hmm, my Thinkpad hasn't bluescreened once.  (you know, there are reasons for bluescreening beyond hardware... usually bad interaction between OS and Software.)

Thinkpads are good.  Thinkpads are great.

i love my x61s.

Seconded.
Considering that the only Software i installed was Mircosoft Word, i am quite sure it's the hardware. And i didn't say all thinkpads had bluescreen; but enough of them do and i wouldn't be willing to take this risk again. To everyone else: buy thinkpads at your own risk...

« Reply #768 on: October 20, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »

Considering that the only Software i installed was Mircosoft Word, i am quite sure it's the hardware. And i didn't say all thinkpads had bluescreen; but enough of them do and i wouldn't be willing to take this risk again. To everyone else: buy thinkpads at your own risk...

hardware specs of your T61?

thanks.
2 gigs of ram
2 Ghz Processor, Core 2 Duo
One would expect that this would be enough to run f-ing Mircosoft Word!

« Reply #769 on: October 20, 2007, 07:14:04 PM »

2 gigs of ram
2 Ghz Processor, Core 2 Duo
One would expect that this would be enough to run f-ing Mircosoft Word!

Seriously, there's more hardware than that, and more software than that.   :)

Have you done every update possible?  drivers, bios, OS, software?
Yes i have. And sure i may have a program or two other than MS, but come on. Do you really want to tell me that my AVG anti-virus system is the culprid of bluescreen? Search any notebook forum and you'll find tons of threads about this. My dad's old laptop has many more programs than mine, just updated it to vista, and he has never had a bluescreen problem. So stop making it sound like i did something wrong or this is my fault. My t61 blows. I just wish someone warned me before i bought it this august. That's all. I wouldn've been better off with the cheapest laptop at Costco or something...