Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 09:22:11 PM »
Let me counter the MacBook whores by reccomending that you do not get one. What a lousy idea for LS.

If you're going to state something so blaspemous, at least state your reasons...

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 10:17:37 PM »
i just ordered an IBM X60.  its the new version of the X40/30 series.  same body and weight as the earlier ones but comes with the new dual processor stuff.  They are super light and small, but they come with awesome keyboards.  the keyboard on this 12 incher feels better than the one on my 15inch dell or my friends 14inch compaq.  all ibm keyboards are full size.  also, if you call ibm directly and tell them that you're a student they can give you a killer deal.

Ever

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
re: screen size, i am currently used to a nice big 15.4" widescreen, but i want to get something more portable for law school. i will probably be choosing between Dell's Inspiron 710m and XPS M140. how big of a difference in comfort is there between a 12" screen and a 14" screen (especially for someone used to a 15" one)? it's hard for me to tell by looking.

In my experience 12 is just too small - 14 inch wide is just about perfect.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 10:33:50 PM »
Gonna be $120 K in debt anyway, what's another couple of hundred.

Going for what'll make me happen (though hurting my pockets).  IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X60.

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 11:40:16 PM »
I'm probably going to get one of these (fully loaded...$120k for law school, not gonna skimp on supplies):

Dell Latitude D620
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d620?c=us&cs=2236&l=en&s=eep

Dell Latitude D820
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d820?c=us&cs=2236&l=en&s=eep

I'd like to toss out the suggestion that it is worth getting a "business class" laptop. I want a laptop that is made well and will withstand daily use bouncing around in my bookbag. One essential feature I'm looking for is hard drive protection. I've personally witnessed what happens when a running laptop is dropped and the hard drive dies completely. I don't know about ya'll, but I want to protect my class notes, briefs, etc.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 05:58:19 AM »
i just ordered an IBM X60.  its the new version of the X40/30 series.  same body and weight as the earlier ones but comes with the new dual processor stuff.  They are super light and small, but they come with awesome keyboards.  the keyboard on this 12 incher feels better than the one on my 15inch dell or my friends 14inch compaq.  all ibm keyboards are full size.  also, if you call ibm directly and tell them that you're a student they can give you a killer deal.

Wise choice.  I have the X41 and love it.  Wouldn't trade it for anything (except an X60).

trogdor

• the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 06:02:09 AM »
i just ordered an IBM X60.  its the new version of the X40/30 series.  same body and weight as the earlier ones but comes with the new dual processor stuff.  They are super light and small, but they come with awesome keyboards.  the keyboard on this 12 incher feels better than the one on my 15inch dell or my friends 14inch compaq.  all ibm keyboards are full size.  also, if you call ibm directly and tell them that you're a student they can give you a killer deal.

what do you mean they will give you a killer deal?  you just called them and told them you were a student and they gave you some sort of discount?  i want in!  the x60 has gotten great reviews, and ibm/lenovo thinkpads are great.  they're just very expensive...

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 07:43:35 AM »
I'm probably going to get one of these (fully loaded...$120k for law school, not gonna skimp on supplies):

Dell Latitude D620
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d620?c=us&cs=2236&l=en&s=eep

Dell Latitude D820
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d820?c=us&cs=2236&l=en&s=eep

I'd like to toss out the suggestion that it is worth getting a "business class" laptop. I want a laptop that is made well and will withstand daily use bouncing around in my bookbag. One essential feature I'm looking for is hard drive protection. I've personally witnessed what happens when a running laptop is dropped and the hard drive dies completely. I don't know about ya'll, but I want to protect my class notes, briefs, etc.

backup...often

Good idea. ;) In fact, I have a mirrored (RAID) network attached storage device I use currently. Of course, there's still the downtime if you drop your laptop and have to have it fixed.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »

what do you mean they will give you a killer deal?  you just called them and told them you were a student and they gave you some sort of discount?  i want in!  the x60 has gotten great reviews, and ibm/lenovo thinkpads are great.  they're just very expensive...

well, here's the deal on the discount.  i think their normal student discount is around 10%.  they will give ou that if you just tell them you're a student.  certain schools however get really great discounts.  i know that Cal and Penn both do and probably others.  just call and tell them you heard that you could get whatever model for whatever price the Cal or penn website offers it at.  see what they say.