Law School Discussion

laptop

law123

• View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #630 on: July 18, 2006, 06:59:33 AM »
This is probably really stupid, but the Lenovo website is confusing me about warranty.

When you go to customize the product, there is a section for warranty that includes "Warranty Service Upgrades," "Extended Service Contracts," and "Protection Services."

Under "Protection Services," you can choose "3 Year Thinkpad Protection with 3 year IOR 9x5 NBD."  If you select this service, do you also need to select the 3 year IOR in the "Warranty Service Upgrades" section, or is it saying that the Thinkpad protection INCLUDES the IOR? 

Just thought it was a little confusing...

I was in the same situation as you, I called customer support before I bought my computer and this is what they told me:  the Thinkpad Protection is the same as the Extended Service Contract, it is just a way for them to differentiate between business and personal use.  If you order the Thinkpad Protection, the customer service guy said it "covers absolutely everything except for fire and theft."  It would then just be a question of whether you get the option where you have to ship it to their depot for repair or if they will send someone out to you.

Regarding the fingerprint reader, I was under the impression that you could set it up so that for password protected sites, all you have to do is swipe your finger.  However, it seems to me that you have to click the icon on the tool bar first, wait for the program to load, and then swipe your finger (assuming you have set it up for the particular website) this takes much longer than just typing in the password, or setting the site to automatically log you in.

« Reply #631 on: July 18, 2006, 10:19:58 AM »
If you live in FL or CA, the "extended service contract" is not available for consumer purchase.  On the website, it seems to only limit the "protection services" for accidental damage.  However, when I read the fine print of purchase confirmation Lenovo emailed me, it also excludes FL and CA in the "extended service contract".  I emailed Lenovo to clarify and they confirmed that it was not valid.

« Reply #632 on: July 18, 2006, 10:24:52 AM »
If you live in FL or CA, the "extended service contract" is not available for consumer purchase.  On the website, it seems to only limit the "protection services" for accidental damage.  However, when I read the fine print of purchase confirmation Lenovo emailed me, it also excludes FL and CA in the "extended service contract".  I emailed Lenovo to clarify and they confirmed that it was not valid.

Most companies do not offer extended service contracts in Florida due to the risk of lightning and hurricanes. When I got my laptop a few years ago I wasn't able to find anyone reputable who would offer it.

« Reply #633 on: July 18, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »

Most companies do not offer extended service contracts in Florida due to the risk of lightning and hurricanes. When I got my laptop a few years ago I wasn't able to find anyone reputable who would offer it.

Dell makes that VERY clear when you order from them but I thought since the "extended service" at Lenovo said "Extended Service Contract 3 YR onsite repair 9x5 next day," I was hoping that they could at least come by and fix it if something goes wrong or breaks.  I understand not covering electrical surges, weather-related problems, etc (considering that my desktop just shut down due to the lightning outside).  Thinkpad quality is excellento so I don't expect any problems, but the warrnaty would have been nice for peace of mind.

crazy8

« Reply #634 on: July 18, 2006, 10:45:22 AM »

Hmmm...well if I have it shipped to me before I leave for FL will that work?

« Reply #635 on: July 18, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »
If you're trying to mail your computer in from Florida or need on-site service from Florida, I'm pretty sure that would nullify your warranty. The only way to get around it is send to a family member/friend who can call in for you and then have someone come to their house. I had to do that when I was living abroad and was out of a computer for two months as a result.

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
PSA: Thinkpad Sales
« Reply #636 on: July 18, 2006, 11:10:34 AM »
Lenovo is discounting their notebooks quite heavily right now with a back to school sale.

You can get a x60s w/ultrabase for 1800.

crazy8

Re: PSA: Thinkpad Sales
« Reply #637 on: July 18, 2006, 11:14:45 AM »
Lenovo is discounting their notebooks quite heavily right now with a back to school sale.

really, that's how much I was going to get it for with an employee discount  :-\

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 18, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

really, that's how much I was going to get it for with an employee discount  :-\

it always puzzles me when people are upset that they didn't get the BEST deal.  it's a sweet deal regardless of how you get it.  be happy!!!

crazy8

« Reply #639 on: July 18, 2006, 11:28:39 AM »

it always puzzles me when people are upset that they didn't get the BEST deal.  it's a sweet deal regardless of how you get it.  be happy!!!

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm estatic!!! I've just been spending all day going through this and I've no clue about this specs crap so I've been looking for the cheapest price.  Just vengint my frustration of knowing I didn't have to go through all of that. ;)