James K. Polk
2 (1.4%)
Carter
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Your Favorite US Presidents

Re: Your Favorite US Presidents
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2006, 05:57:33 PM »
I give Harry Truman the credit for winning the cold war, I think Reagan followed his blueprint and did nothing wrong (other than possibly overspend on defense), but Reagan pretty muched follwed the cold war policies that all Presidents since Truman had followed, the policy was working and the Soveit Union too some extent was falling apart on its own, cause it was an inefficient system and thats why we won.

I am happy to see Clinton getting a lot of love. I think history will write a nice chapter for Clinton. 

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »
Nope, I just talk down to people because they're twits.  Age is irrelevant.

And for the record, didn't win the Cold War.  Tried his damnedest to start WWIII, which is not the same as winning the Cold War.  If you want to give someone credit for the end of the Cold War, give it to Gorby.  His ass was the one on the line, and without his talking Reagan off the ledge, there's a damn good chance we'd all be radioactive dust.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad, how much of a freaking nut Reagan was before the Alzheimer's set in.  How history has been rewritten since then is really something to see.

people who disagree with you are twits now?  :D

for the record, you're starting to piss me off.

Grow a thicker skin.

cyberrev

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
as far as reagan "ending" the cold war...i'm not so sure that his actions actually actively helped end the cold war or if he just happened to be the president who was in charge when russia finally crumbled under their own weight and thus he gets the credit for "ending" the cold war

Bingo.  Crediting Reagan for ending the Cold War is like crediting Bush the Greater for the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

or crediting nixon for ending vietnam?

cyberrev

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2006, 06:07:39 PM »
Well, I'm one of the few people here old enough to remember when he was President.  I remember how he blew up the deficit, gutted Environmental regulations, traded arms for hostages and funneled that money to death squads in Central America (subverting Congress in the process, which I realize is fairly standard today, but was nearly unprecedented at the time), and very nearly started World War III.

Of course, you have to weigh all that against his accomplishments, which would be... umm...

i'm older than you, i suspect, and think that reagan was head and shoulders above anyone who has come since

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2006, 06:10:25 PM »
Nope, I just talk down to people because they're twits.  Age is irrelevant.

And for the record, didn't win the Cold War.  Tried his damnedest to start WWIII, which is not the same as winning the Cold War.  If you want to give someone credit for the end of the Cold War, give it to Gorby.  His ass was the one on the line, and without his talking Reagan off the ledge, there's a damn good chance we'd all be radioactive dust.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad, how much of a freaking nut Reagan was before the Alzheimer's set in.  How history has been rewritten since then is really something to see.

people who disagree with you are twits now?  :D

for the record, you're starting to piss me off.

Grow a thicker skin.

i find this amusing.

why don't you develop an argument instead of doing this whole, "i'm smarter than you are" thing?

and by calling people twits, that's essentially what you're doing.

i feel bad for the people who agree with you; you're making them look bad.

You're breaking my heart.

cyberrev

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2006, 06:18:01 PM »
i'm older than you, i suspect, and think that reagan was head and shoulders above anyone who has come since

understatement. 

you're older than EVERYBODY here.  :D

i remember the bay of pigs.  and how kennedy almost started wwiii.  he had balls though, and i respect that.  i remember lbj and vietnam, praying that my big brother's number was high enough not to go.  i remember watergate, and how an intellegent man screwed himself with his own paranoia, overshadowing his outstanding foreign policy.  i remember carter, who was probably the smartest, nicest president in a long time; but lack of foreign policy expertise and huge inflation did him in.  i remember iran-contra, and how a marine lt colonel circumvented the entire democratic process.  i remember bush and desert storm, and how much better that particular war was run than this current debacle.  i remember clinton's impeachment, and how he could have handled the whole thing by telling the truth to begin with; simply saying, 'yeah, i got some.  i'm sorry.  heh heh.'

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »
Wow, rev. You are old. You should tell us all stories of living in Hoovervilles and what it was like when Prohibition ended while you're at it.

cyberrev

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
Wow, rev. You are old. You should tell us all stories of living in Hoovervilles and what it was like when Prohibition ended while you're at it.

and i told lincoln, 'abe, dont go to the show tonight'

cyberrev

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2006, 06:22:32 PM »
was the heh heh part really necessary?  he probably would have been better off without it.

true, but cant you hear him saying it? <lol>

redemption

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »
i feel bad for the people who agree with you; you're making them look bad.

I'm one of them. It's embarrassing to be on the same side as that jerk-off.