1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Your Favorite US Presidents

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite US Presidents
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 02:49:53 AM »
I'm in Central Time. Chicago. But I go to work at 4 in the morning, so this is my most active online time, because work is slow for the first couple hours.

Of course Lee thought it would have been worse to go against Virginia. Most people who make catastrophically wrong choices think they are doing the right thing. That doesn't excuse their actions.

In any event, perhaps Jackson was worse. He did indeed get the people "riled up." Riled up to kill them Injuns!!

SCgrad

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 02:51:42 AM »
I'm in Central Time. Chicago. But I go to work at 4 in the morning, so this is my most active online time, because work is slow for the first couple hours.

Of course Lee thought it would have been worse to go against Virginia. Most people who make catastrophically wrong choices think they are doing the right thing. That doesn't excuse their actions.

In any event, perhaps Jackson was worse. He did indeed get the people "riled up." Riled up to kill them Injuns!!

manifest destiny

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 02:59:34 AM »
Yeah, my schedule makes for crazy hours. I didn't go to bed at all last night, just stayed up until I came to work. Why are you up so early?

Intent matters, but if your view of the "right thing" involves taking up arms to defend the institution of slavery, then we've really stretched the definition of having a good intention.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 03:05:52 AM »
true as that may be...and as reprehensible as slavery is today...if he had won and slavery still being practiced today, it's "rightness" would certainly not be so cut and dry

I doubt that. If the South had managed to win independence and establish itself as an independent slave-holding nation, it would be looked at with horror by the rest of the civilized world today. It would be viewed like South Africa before the apartheid regime fell, only far worse.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 03:13:10 AM »
There's no way the South would have conquered the North. The best they hoped for was independence.

The interesting thing is if the South hadn't seceded after Lincoln's election. He was very willing to work out a compromise to preserve the Union, so slavery could have lasted another fifty years or more. No Civil War, no 13th-15th Amendments. Hard to imagine how different American history would have been.

SCgrad

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 03:24:45 AM »

what were lee's personal feelings on slavery?  i should look this up.

I'm pretty sure Lee didn't own any slaves.  And Grant did.  The emancipation proclamation didn't even free all the southern slaves.  TN, LA, and one other state's slaves were not set free. 

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 03:30:33 AM »
Lee did own slaves.

The Emancipation Proclamation freed all slaves in the States that had seceded. This included LA, but not TN or KY.

SCgrad

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 03:34:11 AM »
yeah, i just did my own searching too.  parts of LA were still slave owning. as were deleware, parts of VA, WV, and Maryland.

also, read the first quote at the top of this website

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/About%20the%20General.htm

(yes, he did own slaves, i was mistaken about that)

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 05:10:10 AM »
You kids who are voting for Reagan need to lay off the sauce.

SCgrad

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 05:13:24 AM »
the cold war thing was pretty clutch.  reagonomics? not so much.