Carter
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Your Favorite US Presidents

Alamo

• View Profile
Re: Your Favorite US Presidents
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 11:26:53 AM »
Is it coincidence that both Roosevelts are listed at the top?  They're my two favorites, with Lincoln a distant third.

Grant, BTW, is widely regarded as the worst president in American History.  Might as well put Warren G. Harding up there.

ms

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 11:30:31 AM »
Van Buren

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »
Where are some of the greats like William Henry Harrison?
Andrew Johnson?

;)

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »
Why did Lincoln even tap out Johnson? Oh yeah, Gen.Seeward?  What would he have done?

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 06:13:11 PM »
I went with Lincoln, George Washington, and Clinton--Truman probably would have been next. 

Its hard to get a feel for the real Lincoln-you have such varied pictures from Sandburg, to Gore Vidal (liberal biographers) to libertians offering a distinct version of him, but no matter what-you can't deny the man was a self made political monster.

I love the honesty of George Washington.  He was egotistical, proud, and vain, but he was always honest with himself and realistic both as commander of the continental army and President of the U.S. and I can respect that.

Clinton-nuff said, he is my contemporary political hero.

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 07:09:47 PM »
Why did Lincoln even tap out Johnson? Oh yeah, Gen.Seeward?  What would he have done?

Seward might have made a decent President if he took over in 1865 when Lincoln died.  Seward was more a moderate and like Johnson would have had troubles with Congress, but he was a more sober man than Johnson and would at the least would have behaved better.

Lincolns first VP Hannibal Hamlin was from Maine, that is pretty all I know about him, other than he had a dark complexion and his critics said he had African American blood in him.

SCgrad

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 12:26:13 AM »
Where are some of the greats like William Henry Harrison?
Andrew Johnson?

;)

Chester Aurthor?

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 02:18:42 AM »
My three favorites, in both chronological order and order of greatness, are Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan.

Why is Andrew Jackson on this list? He is not only the worst President of all time, but he is also one of the worst Americans of all time, period. (Only Robert E. Lee is clearly worse, in my opinion)

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 02:40:06 AM »
Lee is the most highly ranked American official ever to commit treason.

Moreover, he committed treason against the US to help an internal insurrection that wanted to destroy the Union in order to preserve racialized slavery, arguably the most inhuman institution in world history.

Moreover, his treason turned what would have been a fairly short and decisive victory for the Union into a protracted Civil War that cost hundreds of thousands of American lives and poisoned North-South relations to this day.

SCgrad

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 02:43:46 AM »
I like Jackson.  Might have something to do with his homestate, though.  come on, nobody ever got the public as riled up as jackson.  most persuasive president ever.