« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2006, 05:54:04 AM »
:)

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: For the older students...
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2006, 06:04:56 AM »
For me, this is a big plus with W&M.  The crowd looking for bars and free beer Thursdays are going to GW.  (They do have "thirsty thursday" there, as well as Bar Review -- where they get together to go out to get drunk).  I wasn't into that stuff as a 22 year old and I am pretty sure I will get along fine with the 22 year olds that aren't upset by the lack of a bar scene at W&M.  And if not, well, there is room for them at the bottom of the curve, right?  :D

To assume that GW students are looking for bars and free beer is absurd.  I assure you, the select few students looking to party at GW will be at W & M.  Its not like GW students are all going out and getting drunk.  Knowing people at the law school, thirsty thursdays is more of a "lets have one beer and relax between study hours" type of thing.  I hardly drink, and I doubt many serious law students do either.

Allow me to clarify: Not all GW students are looking to get drunk.  But I think those kids posting threads like "what is the bar scene at X school?" or "How many hotties at Y school" are more likely to go to GW than W&M, of the 3 schools I am looking at. 

I just find it a bit disappointing when a great school like GW or UVA buy kegs for their law school on Thursday because there are few students with class on Friday.  In a profession with a huge alcoholism problem it is just . . .disappointing.  And the GW kid I spoke to said that the keg was a pre-drinking opportunity before going out to the "Bar Review" on Thursdays, which suggests a pattern heavy drinking, if not excessive drinking.

Ooof, where the heck did this stick come from?   :P

Law-Man

• In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2006, 06:30:31 AM »
There seems to be more than one stick, and that means to many people are taking things to seriously.
All schools have some people who study, and some who drink (I like to drink while studying which probably explains my GPA) but I think everyone should just do whatever makes them comfortable and not worry about what everyone else is doing. Everyone has their own way of working and relaxing.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

I just find it a bit disappointing when a great school like GW or UVA buy kegs for their law school on Thursday because there are few students with class on Friday.  In a profession with a huge alcoholism problem it is just . . .disappointing.  And the GW kid I spoke to said that the keg was a pre-drinking opportunity before going out to the "Bar Review" on Thursdays, which suggests a pattern heavy drinking, if not excessive drinking.

You're going to be pretty disappointed wherever you go...it seems like kegs and Bar Reviews are standard at most every law school.  Just because a school has them doesn't mean its full of raging alcoholics.  At Emory, the kegs on the plaza are more social opportunities after class then anything else, and I know a HUGE number of people that have never been to a Bar Review outside the first couple weeks of school.

And what do you care if everyone's out getting sloshed all weekend long?  It makes it easier to for the nondrinkers to get ahead, with the drunkies rounding out the bottom of the curve!  :D

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2006, 12:29:07 PM »
This is a social profession. Contacts, just as in the real world, are important. Alcohol breaks down social barriers and enables you to connect, albeit superficially, with your peers. Real connections can be built from the superficial ones. Ultimately, it is beneficial for the school if the entire class knows (and hopefully likes) one another. Alumni support, not only financially, but in a nepotistic-esque way is very important to a school's relative worth.

As is contantly stated, it is possible to get bogged down in reading and studying. Some non-trads are concerned about not seeing families. How does one expect to make friends outside of a, likely limited, study group if there does not exist this social activity?

I am perfectly willing to accept that booze is not the "best" way to encourage social behavior, but unless we are willing to revamp our insular society it is all we have. And don't start on me about alternative activities. Opera, lectures, sports etc. All useless.

In conclusion, I like drinking and I want to convince everyone else to like it as well. Don't play sports. You will only meet jocks. And all people that enjoy opera are completely insufferable. And if you could meet people in lectures we wouldn't have this problem.

Law-Man

• In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
I have a friend that picked up smoking before law school so he could meet and be friends with all the people who stood outside and smoked.

A little crazy, YES!, but it is what he felt he had to do to make sure he was networking with everyone. I would never suggest it or for that matter picking up drinking either, but some people feel it is an absolute neccesity.

LitDoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2006, 12:49:03 PM »
This is a social profession. Contacts, just as in the real world, are important. Alcohol breaks down social barriers and enables you to connect, albeit superficially, with your peers. Real connections can be built from the superficial ones. Ultimately, it is beneficial for the school if the entire class knows (and hopefully likes) one another. Alumni support, not only financially, but in a nepotistic-esque way is very important to a school's relative worth.

As is contantly stated, it is possible to get bogged down in reading and studying. Some non-trads are concerned about not seeing families. How does one expect to make friends outside of a, likely limited, study group if there does not exist this social activity?

I am perfectly willing to accept that booze is not the "best" way to encourage social behavior, but unless we are willing to revamp our insular society it is all we have. And don't start on me about alternative activities. Opera, lectures, sports etc. All useless.

In conclusion, I like drinking and I want to convince everyone else to like it as well. Don't play sports. You will only meet jocks. And all people that enjoy opera are completely insufferable. And if you could meet people in lectures we wouldn't have this problem.

The business and law schools in Utah seem to manage networking activities just fine, sans alcohol. The schools throw BBQs, luncheons, and other meet-and-greet social events. Lots of networking. No drinking.

It's pretty silly to rely on alcohol as a crutch for meeting people; and I agree that it's borderline irresponsible for schools to facilitate drinking in a profession (and an American culture in general) that struggles with abusing this sort of thing.

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
LitDoc- in regards to your comments, Americans generally drink a lot less than many other cultures. I think it is much easier to get ahead here without drinking alcohol than it is in some other cultures in which promotion almost entirely depends on your ability to drink with the best of them.

LitDoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »
LitDoc- in regards to your comments, Americans generally drink a lot less than many other cultures. I think it is much easier to get ahead here without drinking alcohol than it is in some other cultures in which promotion almost entirely depends on your ability to drink with the best of them.

Whether or not other cultures drink more than Americans is not relevant to whether or not Americans struggle with alcoholism, or whether or not alcohol is necessary to networking.

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »
I don't really think Americans struggle with it that much, but we just have a different attitude about alcohol so it seems like a bigger problem than it is. I'm saying this a a non-drinker, so it's not like I am trying to hide any drinking problem.