• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: For the older students...
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2006, 10:33:21 AM »
no comment.

cyberrev

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2006, 08:38:44 PM »

well, they should at least be frightened of the potential of our getting a flashback and killing them

Thank Christ law schools don't require a spinal tap.   ;) :o ;)

i used to play guitar for spinal tap  :D

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
nice! 

phooey

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2006, 10:35:55 AM »
The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin'!..(or so they say).

phooey

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2006, 10:45:19 AM »
We need a Spinal Tap thread.

cyberrev

« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2006, 03:11:51 PM »
i used to play guitar for spinal tap  :D

Rev, I bet you turned it up to eleven.

unless you see a kids ears bleed, its not loud enough <lol>

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »
I don't know anything about you, but I would think a long time before I left a job paying $70K to go to GA State.  UGA, yes.  GA State . . . not as sure.  Why do you want to go to law school?  Answer that question as honestly as you can. Why is it better than what you are doing now?

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »
Aerynn - I see on your LSN that you are from Atlanta.  Do you make that comment on GA State because you are from the area and you arnt impressed w/the reputation/career prospects, etc.  or do you just say that because of its ranking?

Both are good reasons for the opinion...just curious to your thoughts.
The former.  It may be a fine school, but 'round these parts Emory and UGA are pretty big fish.  Even Mercer has a strong alumni group.  Maybe GA State is just newer and has fewer alums championing their cause?

Money doesn't buy happiness, so if you have strong reasons for wanting to be a lawyer and the kind of law you want is accessable from GA State, go for it.  But if you are a bit fuzzy on why you want law or it just looks a bit greener from your side of the fence, I would put the money away, study like crazy for the LSAT and try to get into a school that will give me a lot of flexibility coming back out.

Debt load would be a big factor in my thinking, if I were you.  What are your scholarship offers?  What is the tuition/living expenses for the various schools?  If GA State is a free ride and you already have a home here in ATL, then I would go for it.  If you have to sell your house and get a pricey apartment in the city to go and they aren't offering you a scholarship, I would wait. 

In short, there are factors that I think would make GA state a good choice, but you didn't mention them yet. :)

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2006, 05:59:28 AM »
cesco -- I pretty much agree with the responses you've already received.  You're right to be cautious.  Based on the schools you've mentioned, you can't really count on making more as a lawyer than what you're making now (unless the possible job you've mentioned at your current employer would involve more money and is a sure thing).

Some considerations:

- Do you think you have a realistic chance of doing significantly better on the LSAT next time around? 
- What are your grades like -- will a higher LSAT make that much of a difference? 
- Are you a hard worker and a good book-learner, such that you'd stand a good chance of doing well enough as a 1L that you could transfer to a much higher ranked school?
- Are you confident that you understand what lawyering is like as a job and that you will enjoy it so much that it's worth the debt & opportunity cost?

Good luck with your decision.

Law-Man

• In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2006, 09:01:02 AM »
I also agree with whats been said so far, but really think about the reasons that are complelling you (not your father or anyone else) to go to law school.

I am also in a similar situation, I have not gotten into my first choice schools either, and I have a good thing going right now where I work but I don't love it. I am choosing to go to law school no matter where I get in, because it has always been my dream and I don't want to push it off any longer.

Yes, your chances could get better with a higher LSAT score and myabe next year there will be a less competative applicant pool, but maybe not, and why wait. That's just my opinion.