Law School Discussion

For the older students...

laurrk

• View Profile
Re: For the older students...
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2006, 07:06:55 PM »
These are questions from New Jersey's bar application.
www.njbarexams.org/app/application.pdf

Have you, within the past twelve months, been admitted to a hospital or other facility for the treatment of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, paranoia, or and other psychotic disease?

Are you currently suffering from an emotional, mental, or nervous disorder that impairs your judgment or what would otherwise adversely affect your ability to practice law in compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct, the Rules of Court, and applicable case law?

If your answer to either of the foregoing questions is yes, provide the details on a separate attachment, including the names of treating physicians, and dates and places of inpatient treatment.

I guess if you haven't been treated as an inpatient then you're okay on the first one. But I worry that if you fail to disclose something seemingly minor, they could hold it against you for the second question. Or maybe I'm just afraid that I'll spend three years of my time in law school, after working hard to be admitted in the first place, and then have a difficult time gaining admission to the bar. I haven't looked at the applications for many other states, so I don't know what the other states ask.

I also checked out Maine. They have mental health questions on pages 21 & 22.
www.mainebarexaminers.org/PDF%20Files/MBBE-NA%2010.05.pdf

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2006, 07:21:03 PM »
I would think depression wouldn't fall under the list of mental disorders that would prevent you from practicing law successfully, but that schizophrenia and uncontrolled bipolar disorder would.

Check under HIPAA rules what is allowed.  The law changed regarding medical disclosures fairly recently. 

Also, just because they ask about something, doesn't make it an auto-ding that they will not let you through.  If you can make it through the stressful, competitive atmosphere of law school intact then I think that makes a strong case that you will also be able to deal with the stress of being a lawyer.  If you can't, well, I think that may be a sign to you to choose something you love and enjoy rather than something that will cause a breakdown.  This is good advice for anyone considering any profesion, really.

And to bring it back to the debate, I would much rather disclose treatment for depression than treatment for a drinking problem.

laurrk

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2006, 07:25:34 PM »
And to bring it back to the debate, I would much rather disclose treatment for depression than treatment for a drinking problem.

me too

cyberrev

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2006, 07:33:03 PM »
i get to disclose treatment for perscription drug addiction

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2006, 06:27:18 AM »

And me for the "dirtier" stuff.  I've been in contact with the PA bar and should have no problem getting barred.

cyberrev

« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2006, 06:30:43 AM »

And me for the "dirtier" stuff.  I've been in contact with the PA bar and should have no problem getting barred.

i looked at the arkansas aba requirements last night, they have two questions, one of which was 'have you ever' and the other is 'are you currently' so i think i'll do okay, especially since i've been through rehab and will have 4 years clean time by then.

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2006, 04:06:13 PM »
Re disclosing psych treatment -- The only state I know about is DE, and the application there specifically says you don't have to disclose "situational" counseling.  That gives you some wiggle room.  In any event, I wouldn't stress about it.  Of all the things on the bar exam, I think that this one is the least likely to be investigated by examiners.

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2006, 05:46:27 AM »

i looked at the arkansas aba requirements last night, they have two questions, one of which was 'have you ever' and the other is 'are you currently' so i think i'll do okay, especially since i've been through rehab and will have 4 years clean time by then.

Same boat.  Nearly seven yrs clean by then.  My C&F review should be tons o' fun!

cyberrev

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2006, 06:12:26 AM »

Same boat.  Nearly seven yrs clean by then.  My C&F review should be tons o' fun!

well, they should at least be frightened of the potential of our getting a flashback and killing them

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2006, 07:30:25 AM »

well, they should at least be frightened of the potential of our getting a flashback and killing them

Thank Christ law schools don't require a spinal tap.   ;) :o ;)