Law School Discussion

PT students who will work full time: read in advance?

MD2JD

Re: PT students who will work full time: read in advance?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »
ABA limits 1L work to 20 hours per week.  Schools usually don't enforce the rule and take the "don't ask, don't tell attitude".  UCLA and another school I got into (Southwestern) both take the attitude that if I can swing it, power to me attitude.

I plan on working the 16 hours on only weekends and hope that will be enough to pay the bills....

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »
I am pretty sure that 20 hour rule is for 2 and 3L years.  I believe they told us at GW that 1L year, you are prohibited from working.

MD2JD

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »
The ABA website states the 20 hour work rule in the context of class schedule, attendance, and residence hours.  I was worried that I would have to be unemployed and thereby lose my house, car, wife and kid.  I was careful in finding out the rule so I can arrange things to work. 

The ABA rule is not specific to any particular year in LS and both Deans I talked to say their schools are lax about enforcing the rule, but just don't be too obvious and don't miss class.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »
Have you considered enrolling in a part-time program so you could balance a work schedule?

MD2JD

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »
Have you considered enrolling in a part-time program so you could balance a work schedule?

I did.  But while there are excellent PT programs here in L.A. (Loyola, and SW) and I gotten in to them, how can I say no to UCLA?  I didn't think I would even get in and now that I'm in, just can't turn it down...