Law School Discussion

Where are you applying?

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you applying?
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2004, 12:19:29 PM »
no one has love for USC?  east coast bias...you guys/gals have no clue how much better the west is than the east.  real beaches, weather that doesnt either freeze or burn you or both, extremely solid education, and a liberal enough environment where conservatives are embraced too...USC all the way

nathanielmark

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »
move to jersey = save a ton of money :)  im sure they will give you a fee waver too.

Yeh I had actually thought about it and I will most likely apply there as well.
But I am really lazy, and dont know if I feel like commuting to NJ

M2

M2 what about rutgers as a safety, (as opposed to brooklyn) you could probably get close to a free ride at rutgers.. just a thought.

mancow555

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2004, 01:10:19 PM »
Super Reach:
NYU
Columbia
Berkeley
UCLA
G. Town

Good Chance:
G. Wash
Fordham
G. Mason
American

Likely:
Cardozo
Santa Clara

If I don't get accepted into one of the George's, then I think Cardozo would be my top choice.  What a location. 

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2004, 01:15:46 PM »
GPA 2.15   LSAT 159

UT (HAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT LIKE I WOULD REALLY HAVE A SHOT!!!) CHISASHU %= 0.18% CHANCE
HOUSTON (ANOTHER HAHAHA NOTICE ONLY 3 HA'S)                 CHISASHU %= 0.63% CHANCE
SOUTH TEXAS COLLEGE OF LAW (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE)         CHIASHU  %=50.40% CHANCE
ST. MARY'S (WOULD RATHER LIVE IN HOUSTON BUT OK IF I GOTTA) CHIASHU  %=99.47  CHANCE

ITS GREAT TO LIVE IN TEXAS WHEN YOU HAVE BAD #'S!!

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2004, 05:25:06 PM »
just out of curiosity, do any of you plan on applying to schools outside of the top twenty-five?

M2

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2004, 05:32:29 PM »
My list only has 2 in the top 25... the rest are within the top 100 though

swifty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »
I don't plan on applying to any of the top 100, and that's because I'm special.   :P

darren

• Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2004, 10:22:44 PM »
Definitely for safety.  I want to do environmental law, so I'm going to apply to Vermont and Lewis & Clark, which are Tier 3 and Tier 2 respectively but #1 and 2 in US News Environmental Law rankings.  It seems to me that the best thing to do with safety schools is to target the ones who specialize in what you want to do.  That way you're still likely to get a great education geared towards your interest even if it's not one of your top choices.

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2004, 10:07:04 AM »
Still refining my list, but here is what I have thus far given my interest in civil/commecial litigation, employment/labor law, or corporate law (subject to change):

Definitely Applying:
Super Reach/Reach:
Harvard (Dream or Nightmare ???; Best School. #9 Trial Ad, #17 Clinical; Academic and future anything prospects, commerce prospects for spouse)
NYU (collegial for BIGschool, top 10 clinical program, but in NYC >:()
Michigan (#6 clinical; handle cases from beginning to end b/c of nature of local court docket (less red tape))
Penn (commerce prospects for spouse, lower C of L than other NE cities, Ivy League Rep)

Good Chance:
Duke (Low cost of living, commerce opp in Research Tri. park, Southern hospitality?, reach to MidAtlantic, SE, and TX)
Berkeley (#23 clinical, outreach office, but high C of L)
Texas (From TX; reestablishment of residency - low tuition, want to practice in TX eventually, fin aid/scholarship; #12 in Trial Ad)

Safeties?:
Minnesota (current resident, feeder relationship w undergrad, scholarships, but regionalized to Midwest and I want to go to TX or SE in the long run; man it is cold  :-\
Emory (scholarships, ATL, commerce prospects, #7 in Trial Ad)

Possibly Applying:
Columbia (Ivy League rep, but less clinics than NYU and a sorrier location)
Virgina (not many commerce ops in town but collegial academic school)
Georgetown (top clincial program in country, but in D.C.  :'(
UCLA (High C of L, #21 Clinical, dont want to practice in Cali long-term)
Vanderbilt (SE reach and respect, scholarship opps, but TN really
Washington & Lee (Fee Waiver made me more aware)
SMU (Texas location and funding, cost of living low, but too far down the ranking and too regional)

3.7 Undergrad, 3.75 Expected LSAC, 3.94 Graduate (MBA), June 14th LSAT 161
(dang I had a 163/164 on last Diagnostics but messed up in test, but coming from around 150 just weeks earlier after my score had went to 162 and plummeted (dont ask dont tell--harsh times), all and all I am satisfied; original diag was 150)

And yes, I am a MURM for those that will undoubtedly ask and for those who will moan, oh well.

MURM = Male Under Represented Minority

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2004, 10:09:48 AM »
Oh yeah 2+ years of full-time work experience