Law School Discussion

Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success

Re: Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2006, 08:14:28 AM »
any art history majors here..?

yay!

awesome! rarely seen among pre-law ppl..
don't you just love your major..? I know I do ;D

yes we are definitely a rarity.

what is or was your area of specialization?

no official specialization since I'm an undergrad, but I'm definitely more interested in late 19th-early 20th European...so called "modern art".(whenever I say modern, people confuse it with contemporary so I like to point out specific period..) Especially I think Belgian artists are my twins separated at birth.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »
(Engineers rule)4

Take that.

true dat

redemption

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2006, 11:16:33 AM »
Yes - why just those disciplines? For my money English Lit is the very best preparation for the study of law: it is not trivially easy (and absurd) like economics; it has a better relationship to the way that lawyers think than engineering or any of the other sciences; and it isn't a hobby dressed up as an academic field like international relations or business or political science.

Law is literature. Period.

Ever heard of "Law and Economics"?  I don't think Econ is absurd in any way

Anyways, to put all of this to rest, I am doing a research project on the subject using econometric techniques.  I guess we will find out.

redemption

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2006, 11:20:51 AM »

Ever heard of "Law and Economics"? 

No. What is it?

Yes - why just those disciplines? For my money English Lit is the very best preparation for the study of law: it is not trivially easy (and absurd) like economics; it has a better relationship to the way that lawyers think than engineering or any of the other sciences; and it isn't a hobby dressed up as an academic field like international relations or business or political science.

Law is literature. Period.

Anyways, to put all of this to rest,

fyi, you don't get to put anything to rest, You're a n00b. Don't ever forget it.

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2006, 12:47:34 PM »
Agreed-but I do hope to provide some good results.  We are actually studying the effects of many variables on 1l GPA, e.g., sex, race, UGPA, LSAT, etc.  I think what might happen is that all of these things will be effects of the choices of "smarter" people.  For example, smarter people usually choose certain majors, do better on the LSAT, go to better UG's.  Thus, the effects of the variables on 1L GPA might be overstated.

Law and Econ is--in the words of Richard Posner--an Economic Analysis of Law.  I took a UG class on it in the Spring.  It was probably my favorite class of my UG career.  If you think about it, topics such as Propert, Torts, and Contracts lend themselves easily to Econ. 

I think a lot of better law schools have Law and Econ classes, and some are coming out with joint programs where you get a JD and a basic PHD in Econ.

I am in no way an expert in law or Econ, but I think Law and Econ provides a more elegant and powerful way of analysing legal decisions.  Instead of basing arguments on nebulous concepts such as justice or fairness, you simply talk about utility/happiness of the parties involved and/or society.  You talk about things such as how the optimal level of crime in a society is probably not zero.  Additionally, any time a jury awards damages in a civil case they are making an economic decision.

redemption

« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2006, 12:53:53 PM »
Agreed-but I do hope to provide some good results.  We are actually studying the effects of many variables on 1l GPA, e.g., sex, race, UGPA, LSAT, etc.  I think what might happen is that all of these things will be effects of the choices of "smarter" people.  For example, smarter people usually choose certain majors, do better on the LSAT, go to better UG's.  Thus, the effects of the variables on 1L GPA might be overstated.

Law and Econ is--in the words of Richard Posner--an Economic Analysis of Law.  I took a UG class on it in the Spring.  It was probably my favorite class of my UG career.  If you think about it, topics such as Propert, Torts, and Contracts lend themselves easily to Econ. 

I think a lot of better law schools have Law and Econ classes, and some are coming out with joint programs where you get a JD and a basic PHD in Econ.

I am in no way an expert in law or Econ, but I think Law and Econ provides a more elegant and powerful way of analysing legal decisions.  Instead of basing arguments on nebulous concepts such as justice or fairness, you simply talk about utility/happiness of the parties involved and/or society.  You talk about things such as how the optimal level of crime in a society is probably not zero.  Additionally, any time a jury awards damages in a civil case they are making an economic decision.

I see. I should look it up.

redemption

« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2006, 12:58:03 PM »
I see. I should look it up.

Be nice, Red.

Shucks. Adult supervision  ;D

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2006, 01:03:39 AM »

yay!

no official specialization since I'm an undergrad, but I'm definitely more interested in late 19th-early 20th European...so called "modern art".(whenever I say modern, people confuse it with contemporary so I like to point out specific period..) Especially I think Belgian artists are my twins separated at birth.

ah yes, i know the difference between Modern and contemporary art very well. are you into  art ŕ la rue? i'm only familiar with their work as well as that of ensor and magritte, of course, and van de velde and horta in architechture and design.

i specialized in the late 19th century british pre-paphaelite movement and associated arts and crafts and aethetics movements in both design and architecture in britain and america.

the pre-raph's also made an impact in literature and poetry, known as the "fleshly" school of poets, including swinburne, pre-raphaelite painter and poet dante gabriel rossetti, and william morris. gabriel rossetti's poet sister christina is also associated with them.

to bring things back to law, there were two notable law cases during this time heard in the british courts.

one was a libel case by the author of a sringing criticism of the "fleshly school" poets against the newspaper publishing two retribution attack pieces against thre critic.

The Fleshly School Controvery (Links to the original review as well as news reports of the libel case.)

the other court case of the period was another libel suit, ruskin v. whistler...yes that whistler, the american artist (the one with the mother) who spent a significant span of time in london where he did some of his finest work.

"I have seen, and heard, much of cockney impudence before now; but never expected a coxcomb to ask two hundred guineas for flinging a pot of paint in the public’s face" - critic John Ruskin

whistler was not amused. he sued for damages of a thousand pounds. he did win the case, but was awarded only a token farthing, and shortly after went bankrupt.

The Whistler Trial

Victorian Studies: A Sense of Justice: Whistler, Ruskin, James, Impressionism

now that i've bored everyone to death with the art lesson... carry on!

« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2006, 08:16:32 AM »

yay!

ah yes, i know the difference between Modern and contemporary art very well. are you into  art ŕ la rue? i'm only familiar with their work as well as that of ensor and magritte, of course, and van de velde and horta in architechture and design.

of course you know the difference! I meant when I talk to my non-art major friends..
for me, it's Belgian Symbolism that fascinates me...life that is genuine and the only one that leaves some traces is made of silence alone..(or so Maeterlinck said)
also thanks for the interesting cases ;D