Law School Discussion

JD or BSEE? Tell me please

thechoson

JD or BSEE? Tell me please
« on: July 19, 2004, 04:27:20 PM »
So, do I go to law school, or take the ultimate challenge and get a 2nd Bachelors in Electrical Engineering?

Yep, that's right, I am seriously considering the second option.  All you engineers love to complain about your jobs, but it doesn't seem that bad to me, and besides, for a poli sci major such as myself, a BSEE would be a greater challenge than Law School, and I am always up for challenges.

Then again, I might be going insane, what do people think?

ttiwed

Re: JD or BSEE? Tell me please
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
honestly cho, when i heard you wanted to go to san jose state to get a bs, i thought you had gone brain dead. first off, why did you pick that school? why not ucla? second, it would be such a shame to let that 165 go to waste. lastly, a bachelors in engineering isn't going to take you all that far in the long run. a JD will. with your lsat score, you could get into tier ones. reapply this fall and go to law school.

i know these aren't very compelling arguments but i am too hungry to think of anything good...

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 05:09:51 PM »
mmmpromo, is thatyou?

Engilaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 05:54:36 PM »
If your goal in life is to do patent work, then sure go back.  As an EE i can tell you that the average EE grad makes 40-60k a year.  Pretty good for undergrad.  However, after 10 years of work that average EE makes about 80k.  Compare that with the 70-125k starting salary as a lawyer.  It ur choice, and a BSEE could take at least 3 years, which when combined with law school is more than half a decade!  But, as a reward Patent Attorney's reap some of the best salaries in the biz, if that's what you wanna do...(100k-200k is very common i believe, but don't quote me on that).  Don't get me wrong, I love engineering, but law school's calling!

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 06:12:41 PM »
if you can get a full scholarship to study electrical engineering for 4 years, then go for it... but as far as opportunity costs go, you should go for the law degree not the engineering... and even if you do go for a BSEE, you should still go to law school afterwards so you can do patent law, because if you're thinking about a career as an engineer... ehhh...

also, some schools have dual degree programs... it sounds weird, but maybe you can get your first year of engineering out the way, then do a JD/BSEE for another 4 years and come out after 5 years with a JD/BSEE...

ttiwed

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:18:48 PM »
mmmpromo, is thatyou?

yeah it's me. that's ttiwed backwards (or frontwards rather).

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 07:14:56 AM »
mmmpromo, is thatyou?

bastard. stop confusing me

thinknpositive

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 07:16:23 AM »
mmmpromo, is thatyou?

bastard. stop confusing me

I can't believe you are even considering going back to undergrad.  Snap out of it son!!!

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 10:51:57 AM »
Instead of going for EE, while not make go for FE instead?  Get a masters in Financial Enigneering or a BS in financial engineering?  The pay is certainly more than what you would earn from EE.

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 03:09:28 PM »
what is financial engineering?