Law School Discussion

Anyone else wanting to lose a few pounds?

Demigoddess

• Legal Posh
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else wanting to lose a few pounds?
« Reply #1190 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »
I've never really understood the point of the stability ball.  I just do crunches on the ground. 

It makes the workout harder as you're focusing on balance as well as getting the perfect crunch. I also heard - not sure how true this is - that the ball is also better on your back.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 14, 2007, 11:16:17 AM »
I've never really understood the point of the stability ball.  I just do crunches on the ground. 

It makes the workout harder as you're focusing on balance as well as getting the perfect crunch. I also heard - not sure how true this is - that the ball is also better on your back.

I'd say both of thse are true.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 14, 2007, 11:17:02 AM »

Hah, well the reason I don't like the stability ball is because it's so hard to balance.  I guess that's the point though...o well.  The ground works fine for me.  

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1193 on: January 14, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
It's a more efficient crunch, but it doesn't allow the same sort of shape.  Ground crunches tend to exaggerate the peak of the crunch which is the part that "defines" -- it's also the part that's likely to hurt your back if you don't do it carefully.  You get better definition and shape from ground crunches, but a less "complete" crunch.  But there are ways to get around this.

I never use a stability ball for crunches, but I find many other uses for this baby.

« Reply #1194 on: January 14, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »
My stability ball suddenly deflated.  I think my cats attacked.

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 14, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »
Figure skating is cardio so it looks like you're getting adequate cardio workouts if you try to do it for an hour at least 4 x a week and you're covered in that department. As for ab workouts, I recommend doing crunches on a stability ball. I do 2 sets of 15 reps with pulses up to 10 after each set of 15 and then I repeat the 2 sets totaling 4 sets. You  may want to start with 2-3 sets (that's where I started off and moved up to 4). Then when you're done with that, get on a mat and do bicycle crunches - those tone the obliques. I had a couple sessions with a trainer and she taught me some really intense ab workouts - they're hard to explain. One is like a bicycle crunch but you pause in the crunch for 3 counts. Another one is with a stability ball - you basically lay on your back with arms straight up over your head on the floor and hold a stability ball between your calves/ankles - then you raise your arms and legs and "transfer" the ball to your arms and just go back and forth - it sounds weird but it KILLS so it obviously works, hehe. Hope those help!

As for tae-bo, I tried those videos back in college (I think the guy was called Billy Blanks or something like that.) and even though I did work up a sweat, I just didn't really like the workouts to stay motivated enough to do them... just my opinion though.

That reminds me... I should pick my butt up and go to the gym in the next hour...

Figure skating is cardio if and only if you're moving the entire time on the ice.  I tend to jump and go take a break afterward to get water and blow my nose (also I have a knee problem where it dislocates often, so I try not to pound out too many jumps in a row).  I probably get the best cardio from my moves in the field lessons where I'm moving around more consistently and not jumping a bunch and killing my knee.

Thanks for the tips!  I do have a ball (although I think it might not be inflated enough. . .I sink into it a smidge, and pictures I've seen of people using it show there's no sinkage).  Do any of those exercises work the abs underneath your belly button?  That area is the crappiest to find ways to tone.  It drives me crazy! :P

« Reply #1196 on: January 14, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
My stability ball suddenly deflated.  I think my cats attacked.

How much did you have to pay 'em to do that?

Am I that transparent???   ;D

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 14, 2007, 07:05:30 PM »

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 14, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »
Pilates is the best way to tone the abs for me.  Love it!

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 14, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »
Crunches are boring :P