Poll

What do you think of my name?

I like it. It's unique!
15 (78.9%)
It's average, I guess
2 (10.5%)
Eh... I don't care for it
1 (5.3%)
HAHAHA! Your name is Do It? Sucks to be you!
1 (5.3%)
HAHAHA! Your name is Duet? Sucks to be you!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Getting a name change

ruskiegirl

Re: Getting a name change
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 04:53:06 PM »
Dewitt is not at all a bad name.  At least people can pronounce it.  My first name is Ksenia, but in Russia you would only use that either in your papers or when you get old.  It's considered much too formal for everyday use.  So, the nickname for Ksenia is Ksusha, so that's what I'd called myself all my life prior to coming to the States.  I didn't want to use Ksenia here, because although it is easier to pronounce, I still felt like an old lady every time someone called me that.  So I stuck with Ksusha.  Well, considering the fact that English doesn't have a phonetic "ks" combination at the beginning of ANY word, folks liked to call me Kuh-susha, which I also hated.  So my mom insisted I make the K silent.  This didn't go over well in the third grade when my classmates quickly discovered the similarity between Susha and Sushi.  I still have no idea what I will use when I am an attorney.  (Middle name isn't an option, it's Alexandrovna). :-\

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 05:09:08 PM »
ruskiegirl, your names are beautiful!

& dewey, chin up sweetheart. would you really want to be a john or a mike or a dan like everyone else you know??

lexylit

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 05:10:41 PM »
what is your real name lexy?

alexandra. lexy is one of (counts on fingers...takes off shoes...) 11 or 12 nicknames.

Ginatio

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 05:22:51 PM »
I've found that all the famous lawyers have unique names... I'd keep De-Witt... It's not that hard to spell if you put enough emphasis on the "W"

don't change ur name, man... unless you change it to "the dude"

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 11:25:32 PM »
Or a crazy symbol that no one can draw or describe, like Prince did :)

ruskiegirl

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 08:06:40 AM »
Or a crazy symbol that no one can draw or describe, like Prince did :)

Good idea!  I can be the attorney formerly known as RuskieGirl.

ttiwed

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2004, 09:14:59 AM »
ruskiegirl, your names are beautiful!

& dewey, chin up sweetheart. would you really want to be a john or a mike or a dan like everyone else you know??

no way! i would hate to be a john or a mike or... heaven forbid... a MATT. every other guy in america is a MATT.

but why couldn't i have been like a COOPER or an ANDERSON? or better yet have my full name be COOPER ANDERSON like that clean cut, handsome CNN reporter. that dude has looks and a cool name.

this reminds me of that one episode of the simpsons where homer changed his named to max power.  :D

Dewitt is not at all a bad name.  At least people can pronounce it.  My first name is Ksenia, but in Russia you would only use that either in your papers or when you get old.  It's considered much too formal for everyday use.  So, the nickname for Ksenia is Ksusha, so that's what I'd called myself all my life prior to coming to the States.  I didn't want to use Ksenia here, because although it is easier to pronounce, I still felt like an old lady every time someone called me that.  So I stuck with Ksusha.  Well, considering the fact that English doesn't have a phonetic "ks" combination at the beginning of ANY word, folks liked to call me Kuh-susha, which I also hated.  So my mom insisted I make the K silent.  This didn't go over well in the third grade when my classmates quickly discovered the similarity between Susha and Sushi.  I still have no idea what I will use when I am an attorney.  (Middle name isn't an option, it's Alexandrovna). :-\

ksenia eh? for some reason i'm now thinking russian dominatrix.

"well if false advertising makes me lame, then just call me bob sagat."

With witty remarks like that, you really shouldn't change your name from deWITt.  It's just so appropriate...

Dewitt is your first name, right?  So it wouldn't be "Dewitt, Esquire."  You'd still have a last name.  Unless this is a Cher thing...  Do you have a middle name?  Maybe you could go by that, like F. Lee Bailey.  That's a pretty dated example; let me think of another.  L. Ron Hubbard?  J. Crew?  Ha ha.

yup, its my first name. it would actually be Dewitt (blank), esq.

if i go with the first name initial idea, i would be D. Clearwell (blank). that doesn't flow at all either.

(as you all probably know by now, my parents were smoking the "dsong rock" when they named me)

I think Dewitt is a great name! It makes u sound likse such a little tough guy ( ???) if ur gonna change ur name, change it to skimendrick, or lotharg or thor or something cool like that. So does this mean ur last name is omorpmm??

little tough guy? why little? and why tough? actually, i like lotharg. if this was the stone age and i was a barbarian living in the hills, i would change it to lotharg in a second.

I've found that all the famous lawyers have unique names... I'd keep De-Witt... It's not that hard to spell if you put enough emphasis on the "W"

which famous lawyers have unique names? the highest attorney in the US is named john and the highest judge is named william. not all that unique ifyou ask me.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2004, 09:27:16 AM »
I think Dewitt is a great name! It makes u sound likse such a little tough guy ( ???) if ur gonna change ur name, change it to skimendrick, or lotharg or thor or something cool like that. So does this mean ur last name is omorpmm??

little tough guy? why little? and why tough? actually, i like lotharg. if this was the stone age and i was a barbarian living in the hills, i would change it to lotharg in a second.

lol! i thought you might have beef with that-it's cuz some people have names that they either need to grow into, or that they eventually grow out of. For example, Timmy is an appropriate name for a 3 year old. But a 40 year old named Timmy doesn't sound right. Same with Francine. yes, it makes sense that an 88 year old grandma has that name but it doesn't work for a 20 year old. So i just picture you as a little ankle biter-about 2 or so-being called Dewitt, and its cute! it sounds like a name for a grown mature man, that's why its so funny to picture u as a little guy with a big name.  :-*

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 10:26:45 AM »
Isn't there an episode of Seinfeld where George wants to change his name?  Definitely the episode of Friends where Chandler wants to change his.  Dewitt, maybe you should watch those for inspiration, since the moral of the story in both cases was that their own name worked best :)

Ginatio

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 10:48:18 AM »
I was just trying to make you feel better, dude... go ahead and change your name to Max Power... "he has the name you want to touch! ... but you must not touch..."

which famous lawyers have unique names? the highest attorney in the US is named john and the highest judge is named william. not all that unique if you ask me.