Law School Discussion

Roommate Dispute

Re: Roommate Dispute
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2004, 02:20:24 PM »
LORD.. how old are you all again? And I think the problem may be that while one roomie only gets $55 less off their rent, the others get at least $100. It doesn't seem fair to me either. If I was that guy, I'd say @#!* you all, and take all my *&^% that the others used and leave. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Grow up.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2004, 03:25:23 PM »
This whole discussion reaffirms the decision I've already made that I will never live with anyone again.  (Exceptions: future spouse, children.)  Roommates have too many issues!  I will gladly take out extra loans in law school so I don't have to deal.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2004, 03:32:00 PM »
And I think the problem may be that while one roomie only gets $55 less off their rent, the others get at least $100.

It would seem to me that this is part of the issue, but you obviously aren't considering that those guys getting $100 off their rent are sharing a bathroom with yet another person, and the guy getting $55 off STILL has his own bathroom.  When given two bathrooms, the value of having one to your self is directly proportional to how many men have to share the other bathroom.

If I was that guy, I'd say @#!* you all, and take all my *&^% that the others used and leave.

And it seems to me that if this happened, it would  make everyone happy.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2004, 03:40:04 PM »
And I think the problem may be that while one roomie only gets $55 less off their rent, the others get at least $100.

It would seem to me that this is part of the issue, but you obviously aren't considering that those guys getting $100 off their rent are sharing a bathroom with yet another person, and the guy getting $55 off STILL has his own bathroom.  When given two bathrooms, the value of having one to your self is directly proportional to how many men have to share the other bathroom.

::applauds for Jacy::  I totally agree.

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 09:27:51 AM »
I would like to first of all thank everyone for their opinions. 

With the exception of snowkitty, who has only posted on this board a couple of times, and furthermore, did not make her profile available to view. The fact that the post by snowkitty was so emotionally inolved and given the anonymity, I believe perhaps that she is somebody close to the situation. Either way, it is one post in nearly thirty that disagree.

I would also like to let everyone know that we have all come to an agreement:  $400 for master, $310 for second largest room, $270 for the two smaller rooms the same size.

Garage will be factored into these numbers as well, so they are sure to change.

To many of you who said we should all grow-up...I agree. The disagreement was not about money, we can all afford any price (for the most part) because our rent is so cheap to begin with.  The problem was 3 men sharing a 56 sq ft bathroom, and the convenience of having a bathroom to himself in the master.  Not to mention, someone was willing to pay more for the room.

The disagreement was on principle...I strongly felt the master bedroom was worth atleast $400 dollars, and I had another roommate and many outside parties agree.  I felt so strongly that the room was worth $400 dollars that I was going to take it for that price(and I almost did).  When I say that it was based on principle, do not confuse that with stubborn pride, rather, it was sticking up for something that I honestly felt to be right. 

There is no doubt that the insight you all provided led to us agreeing on the figures above.

Thank you.

DAS

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 09:45:21 AM »
Dude! You win.

OMG!

Bar stools, verses all your *&^%! That's priceless! Buy them some incense and matches and lock your door.

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2004, 02:57:19 PM »
Well... actually the whole settlement of the dispute was not due to the variety of different views, but the simple fact that somebody wanted to pay more for tha room, but the fact that I have had the room for a year and a half, and it was somebody else's turn to live in the masterbedroom.  So after hearing that from a highly valued source, I agreed to let them have my room.  But because they only wanted to pay 400, I said it was not worth it for me to move all my *&^% upstairs, for another 6 or seven months, so I told them that I will stay and overpay to keep my room.  And thank you snowkitty for your delightful insight, because it almost came to that.