Law School Discussion

Roommate Dispute

Re: Roommate Dispute
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 08:49:02 AM »
The garage really is not the big issue, most likely we will end up rotating the two spaces between the four of us, but no snow, no trouble parking, just a little bit nicer to have a garage spot. 

I find it hard to justify paying $105 and $125 more per month to live in the same houseas they do with my furnishings just because I have my own bathroom and they have to share.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2004, 09:44:18 AM »

Best. Solution. Ever.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 10:47:09 AM »
But you also have the bigger room.  And you may be underestimating the value of having your own bathroom.  No one is going to come into the bathroom you use and take a stinky crap such that you can't go in and use it for like an hour.  No one is going to get sick and throw up in your bathroom.  No one is going to forget to lift the seat and aim poorly on it, such that you have to clean it up before sitting down to use it.  No one will be in the shower when you want to get in and just brush your teeth or pee.  You never have to check with two other guys before taking a shower.  (Maybe guys don't do this, but I did this with my two roommates last year to make sure no one needed to pee before I took a shower.)  You don't have to worry about them never replacing the toilet paper, leaving toothpaste in the sink, etc.  It sucks to share a bathroom with just one person, much less with two other people.  Three people to a bathroom, especially if they're the stereotypical guys who don't clean up after themselves very well, is really disgusting.  As your roommate explained, the current rent proposal factored in square footage, not your own bathroom.  It sounds like you were willing to pay an extra $20 for your own bathroom, which is totally undervalued.  It's worth much more than that, and the value goes up more for every extra person that has to share the other bathroom.

As for the furnishings, I think that issue should have been addressed when you moved in if you wanted that fact factored into the rent distribution.  If you brought all the stuff because you had it, then that's fair.  If you had to buy brand new stuff, then the roommates should have all chipped in to buy it, then sold it at the end of the year and split that money again or come up with some other solution of what to do with the stuff that everyone paid for.

Just some things to think about...

mukhia

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 12:30:19 PM »
Why don't you remove all the communal furniture you have supplied, store it in all the extra bathroom space you have, and see if your roommates think that everything is even?  I agree with tdpookie that you are still undervaluing your private bathroom, but I also think you do have some points of contention if you are willing to rotate garage use and supplying most of the furniture. 

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2004, 04:34:03 PM »
First of all, the roomate in the master bedroom is getting a deal in the room he is in now, at $455.  The next bedroom is close to 90 sq ft smaller and the occupant in that room is paying $410 (recently changed, was paying $420 for a year and three months). 

The other roommate (in the master) had all of the furniture before we moved in.  In fact nearly all of it was given to him by his parents.  The entertainment center, kitchen table, couches, coffee table, all given to him by his parents. 

For me the issue of rent does not involve fixtures, anybody who knows anything about real estate can tell you that.  The only exception I can think of is a furnished apartment, but you know that before you pay for it.   He also forgot to mention that nearly all of the decoration in the house is mine.  Most of it is authentic african art (my parents lived in South Africa for a year).

If he wishes to rotate garage use, that is fine.  I posted asking the value of the garage in case he wanted sole use.  That way I could have figures from an unbiased third party, and he could not contend that five dollars was still a fair price.

At the outset, when we all decided to add a fourth roommate, the roommate in the master bedroom drew up numbers about what we should all pay.   He said he should only pay $340!!!! He argued that because he pays more for rent, he should have more taken away from his rent with the arrival of a fourth roommate.  What do you guys think of this "progressive rent deduction" theory.

I don't care about all of this petty *&^%... You cannot get around the fact that someone is willing to pay more than $360 for the room!!!!  If someone is willing to pay more, everyone in the house wins.  Furthermore, if he thinks that the savings from the other rooms are so great, then he can move into any one of them.  Please, someone tell me I am wrong. 

DAS

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2004, 04:47:18 PM »
@#!* your roommates.  you don't need them.  you all are acting like a bunch of fools.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2004, 05:04:45 PM »
OK... I will!  First of all, half the decorations are mine, the other half are yours, but that is not that big of an issue, just so everybody on the board knows.

The 90 square feet difference includes my bathroom and closet, so that is where the difference comes from, and these prices were all agreed on in the begining when we all moved in, so that is not the big deal. 

My original numbers may not have been fair, so I was more than willing to change them.  It followed the principles of our national tax system.  People in the high bracket (master bedroom), paying a higher percentage , will recieve a larger tax break (Rent) when a tax discount in implemented, but I did fail to recognize teh bathroom situation, that is why we i went back and changed the numbers to help reflect that, $360. But that is not the issue either, just clearing up a couple of issues.

Fixtures ARE a huge part of real estate, having classes and real life experience in Commercial Real Estate, fixtures are factored in when coming up with a dollar amount on the lease.

***The  main issue is that after agreeing on whose room is whose when we signed the lease, and a couple of months ago when we resigned the lease, they now want my room because it is now more affordable.  But that does not give them the right to bid on it now, a year and so later. You cannot go back and reauction property that someone already has.  That is not going to happen.  Why should we change the way we calculate the rent payments of each room because we have another guy moving in.  we should calculate it the way wedid when we first moved in, they way we alll agreed to live by.

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2004, 10:36:49 AM »
Why should we change the way we calculate the rent payments of each room because we have another guy moving in.

that question answers itself. the situation has changed. if three people lived in the house originally, and now there will be four, the situations are not comparable and it is more than reasonable to renegotiate from scratch.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2004, 10:48:42 AM »
Quit being such a female dog about it.  You're complaining over $40??  You have the master bedroom and your own bathroom.  You'd pay $400.  And you have a parking space in a garage.  FWIW, I live in Boston, pay half of $1400 for a small two bedroom apt, share 1 bathroom with my roommate, and have no parking.

The fact that you now have a 4th person moving in changes the entire deal, and rents can be renogotiated.  If you don't like it, you have two options.  Rescind your agreement to add a 4th room mate, then you can live with the satisfaction that your rent won't change, and all of your buddies will be stuck paying more money because you don't appreciate the value of a private bathroom.  Or,your other option is to move out.  Take all of your furniture that you place so much value on and find a place on your own where you won't have to deal with roommates and negotiations and *&^% like that.  And then you'll still have your own bedroom and bathroom.  I'm glad I never lived with someone as unreasonable as you.

OK... I will!  First of all, half the decorations are mine, the other half are yours, but that is not that big of an issue, just so everybody on the board knows.

The 90 square feet difference includes my bathroom and closet, so that is where the difference comes from, and these prices were all agreed on in the begining when we all moved in, so that is not the big deal. 

My original numbers may not have been fair, so I was more than willing to change them.  It followed the principles of our national tax system.  People in the high bracket (master bedroom), paying a higher percentage , will recieve a larger tax break (Rent) when a tax discount in implemented, but I did fail to recognize teh bathroom situation, that is why we i went back and changed the numbers to help reflect that, $360. But that is not the issue either, just clearing up a couple of issues.

Fixtures ARE a huge part of real estate, having classes and real life experience in Commercial Real Estate, fixtures are factored in when coming up with a dollar amount on the lease.

***The  main issue is that after agreeing on whose room is whose when we signed the lease, and a couple of months ago when we resigned the lease, they now want my room because it is now more affordable.  But that does not give them the right to bid on it now, a year and so later. You cannot go back and reauction property that someone already has.  That is not going to happen.  Why should we change the way we calculate the rent payments of each room because we have another guy moving in.  we should calculate it the way wedid when we first moved in, they way we alll agreed to live by.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2004, 11:03:22 AM »
Kick his ass first of all.  After that's done, initiate the new rent prices according to room sizes.