Law School Discussion

Roommate Dispute

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roommate Dispute
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 01:18:04 PM »
I think the roommate needs to be more flexible. I have to weigh in on the Nair in the shampoo thing though. I had a friend whose mean roommate put nail polish remover in her shampoo and nair in the conditioner. Nail polish makes your hair brittle and when you add the Nair, well it completely takes away your hair. Good thing my friend noticed the funny odor before she used the shampoo. So glad I'm married to a girl who won't put stuff in my personal hygene products! :)

Oh my god, people actually DO *&^% like that?  I thought ideas like that only existed as ideas.  That's so bad!

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 01:21:35 PM »
Nope! And the kicker was that my friend had let this girl and her boyfriend live with she and her husband almost for free too! I think they had to chip in for groceries but that was all because my friend felt sorry for them having no place to live and not having much money! It was crazy!!

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 01:22:54 PM »
omg, people can be so horrible!  :(  That's really nice of your friend, though :)

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 01:43:04 PM »
Anyone who rejects binding arbritration, bidding and other methods is obviously either stupid or trying to take advantage of you.  Living with a person like that probably isn't worth the trouble so I suggest kicking the roommate to the curb.  If he also refuses that option I suggest rotten fish strategically placed throughout the room until the smell becomes unbearable.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 01:51:05 PM »
I would ask him to leave.  I think the highest bidder idea is the best, and I def agree that for the largest room and a private bath he should def pay more.  If he refuses, ask him to pack up and move out.  It's completely unreasonable, and I don't doubt you'll be able to find someone else to live with.

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 02:12:09 PM »
That is my contention as well.  In my opinion, there is no getting around the fact that someone else is willing and able to pay more for the room.

DAS

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 03:34:14 PM »
The square footage arguement is perfectly valid given that every square foot is worth the same amount.  However, we all agree (I believe) that a square foot of bathroom is worth more than a square foot of bedroom.  Therefore his rent should be greater than the amount calculated using the square foot method. 

The bidding method is the best.  Whoever gets the master bedroom is obviously happy because otherwise he would not have bid for it, and the others would have outbid if they thought it was worth it.  You would just have to make sure to place binding rules on this auction before it begins.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 04:09:03 PM »
Put the master bedroom/bathroom on ebay and have all the roomies bid on it ;)

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 02:53:20 AM »
speaking as the roommate in with his own bathroom, I feel bidding on my room that we all agreed on, when we signed the lease and resigned the lease would not be fair for them to try and boot me out of my room.  First of all bidding on a room, is only gonna drive the price up on my room and down for all the others.  Second, For living in that room for the past year and a half, and now they want to try and take my room over , I feel is wrong, and unethical considering we have known each other for years.

Currently   I proposed   They proposed       
                    i'm paying    455          360         400
                  Roomamte #2     410          305         295
                   Roommate #3    385          290         275
               future roommate                 295         280

For their proposal, and the complications of having one more guy to share the bathroom with their rent will drop $115 and $110, while i would only save $55 dollars per month.  How is that worth it for me.  Understanding that they may have a little more trouble with three guys, instead of two, so I have tried to compromise I offered 370 one time, then 380 and that i would rotate my garage space and they refused not showing any signs of negotiating with me.  I'm providing most of the furniture in this house. The living room set is mine, including leather couches, coffe table, entertainment center w/ tv, the kitchen table, a full office set, including desk, bookshelves, and cabinets and my own computer, and enough kitchen supplies to satisfy my needs, including the microwave.  One of the other roommates has a refrigerator, a $40 dvd player, and a computer that does not work.  The other has two barstools, a chair in the living room, a couple of desks and a new computer, and the rest of the kitchen supplies. 
Not only have I tried negotiating with them, I have also furnished the majority of the house which they won't take into consideration.  But, furnishing is expensive and that should also be factored in. 
***My proposal my rent would drop $95, Roomie #2 would drop $105, and #3 would drop $95 which i feel is fair considering the items mentioned above.  And if that is not fair 370, or even 380 would be fair.  Not only as Roommates, but as friends too, we should be willing to arrive at a decision that we could all live with. 

*****I would like to hear everyones opinion, now that my side is known.*****

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 08:35:52 AM »
given the additional utility the other roommates receive from using all of your property, it seems that your proposal isn't entirely unfair.

my questions, though, revolve around use of the garage. do all the roommates have cars? is this in an area where parking is pleantiful, or do people have to drive around for a half an hour to find a parking space if they don't have a garage? does it snow a lot in the winter, causing non-garaged cars to have to dig out frequently?

that needs to be factored in.