Law School Discussion

Roommate Dispute

Roommate Dispute
« on: July 16, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »
I need some help from all of you in settling a roommate dispute.  So far, the discussions amongst us roommates have become very heated and I think it could result in us going our separate ways. 

The dispute involves adding a fourth(4) roommate to our four bedroom house.  The catch: only two bathrooms. One bathroom upstairs ( to be shared by three guys) and one downstairs connected to the master bedroom.

The discrepency arises with the roommate in the master bedroom. He thinks he should pay one price and we think he should pay more.

we are all in agreement about adding the fourth roommate.

here are some of the numbers:

Total living are sqaure footage: 2188 (excludes garage--420 SQ FT)
Rent: $1250
Master bedroom: 250 sq ft
master bathroom: 54 sq ft

bedroom #1: 167 sq ft
bedroom #2: 164 sq ft
bedroom #3: 156 sq ft

bathroom to be shared by 3 guys: 56 sq ft
total common area: 1341 sq ft

My question is what you all think the fair value of having your own bathroom, and not sharing with two other guys is.

we have figured prices based on square footage already, but the roommate in the master bedroom insists that we are not inconvenienced and will not pay anymore than the square footage price of $360.

The other kicker is that myself and one other are willing to pay $400 dollars for the master bedroom.  But the other guy is already in the room and will not pay more than $360.

Also what is a fair monthly payment for use of the garage?

Please, any insight will help.

Thank You.

Ginatio

Re: Roommate Dispute
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 12:22:07 PM »
if he's willing to pay up to $360, the rest of you will be paying something like $300... $60/month for a bathroom seems fair to me. A few of my buddies were recently in the same exact situation. The kid who took the bedroom with bath is paying $50-60 more per month for it, which is fair. if the three of you don't think it's fair, then toss him out, one of you take the master bedroom, and find another person to take over one of the other bedrooms...

depending on what city you're in, use of the garage could go from $25/mo to $60/mo...

calguy815

• NYU '07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:24:55 PM »
It is unfortunate that your roommate is not willing to be more reasonable.

The general rule I can offer (and what I believe should be the case) is the "highest bidder wins" rule.  It means that if, as you say, two people are willing to pay $400, then your roommate should either give up that room for the highest bidder, or match/exceed that price.  The value of the room is as much as anyone is willing to pay for it.

Just my take on the situation.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 12:33:48 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. 

I tossed out the idea of bidding on rooms, first starting with the master and working downward toward the two smaller rooms.  He does not agree to this however.

I also mentioned binding arbitration by an impartial third party, but to no avail.

The first reply said that the $60 is more than enough to pay for the extra bathroom.  The other rooms, based on sq footage  are: $305, $295, and $290.  The extra $55-$70 that the roommate in the master is paying is for the square footage and not the convenience of having a bathroom to himself.  He has 90 more sq ft than the next largest room and he is only paying $5 a month for the garage as well.

Thank you for the suggestions.

DAS

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:36:30 PM »
Having your own bathroom is worth more than $50-60.  Sharing a bathroom is really gross, especially with boys.  I lived in a co-ed suite in my dorm (with separate bathrooms) and heard about some horrible crap going on in the boys' bathroom.  The other guy should definitely pay more than $360 for having his own bathroom.  Compare prices for 2bed/1bath and 2bed/2bath apartments to get a general idea of what having one's own bathroom is worth.

mukhia

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:44:33 PM »
Kick the bastard out.  Put Nair in his shampoo.  Put ex-lax in his food so he will really APPRECIATE the value of his own private bathroom.  Or at least take turns clogging his toilet. You have to resort to brute force when simple reasoning will not suffice.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 12:48:17 PM »
Thank you all so much, this is good advice.   

I guess I just want to hear whether or not my logic is justified before we make any harsh decisions.

DAS

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »
No kidding.  Throw out the square footage debate, it is all about the bathroom space.  It is worth considerably more than $75 dollars a month.

eee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 01:07:24 PM »
Kick the bastard out.  Put Nair in his shampoo.  Put ex-lax in his food so he will really APPRECIATE the value of his own private bathroom.  Or at least take turns clogging his toilet. You have to resort to brute force when simple reasoning will not suffice.

by the way, mineral oil just happens to be tastless and odorless and really give you one hellofa case of mudd-butt. though i guess if you are going to be taking his bathroom, giving him a case of explosive shits might not be the best ploy. i guess just set his hair on fire or something... thats always good for a few laughs!

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 01:14:32 PM »
I think the roommate needs to be more flexible. I have to weigh in on the Nair in the shampoo thing though. I had a friend whose mean roommate put nail polish remover in her shampoo and nair in the conditioner. Nail polish makes your hair brittle and when you add the Nair, well it completely takes away your hair. Good thing my friend noticed the funny odor before she used the shampoo. So glad I'm married to a girl who won't put stuff in my personal hygene products! :)