Law School Discussion

This is an amazing test.

Re: This is an amazing test.
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 08:34:52 PM »
so all you need to do is to retake the test and rock it...

Update:

I just worked through the games--took me 20 minutes and I got them all, pretty straightforward. Very easy set.

I screwed something up BIG time on my answer sheet.

Thanks for the vote of confidence--yeah, I think that's all I need.

I'm worried about averaging, though. Even if I can get back into the 175+ range, That'd average me down to a 170. Normally, that's fine--but my GPA is a real problem and I need all the index pts I can get.

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 08:46:35 PM »
But there have been plenty of people in my case and aced the LSAT. So my not getting a 170+ is due to my own stupidity. No excuse... my life sucks.

Your language skills make for a perfect addendum to discuss why 1st year GPA and LSAT are not good measures of your ability.  Textbook case for an LSAT addendum.
[/quote]

pistolpete23

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »

Wow, you guys are pretty sickening. Even among chronic overachievers, you guys are bad. I hope you do realize that there are a lot of people out there (myself included) who would die to get a 165. I'm terribly sorry that your dreams of getting into Yale or Harvard Law have been shattered. I'm hoping that Boston College or USC will satisfy your bloated egos. Like seriously people, you need to accept the fact that you have performed beyond reasonable expectations. It's the 95% percentile for pete's sake.

get a grip,

pistol pete

shae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 10:09:49 PM »
I got a 160-- expecting a 170.  I have a 3.8 and I'm a URM, do you guys think I have a chance at UCLA?

yes- if you can say that u dont do well on standardized tests i think you have a chance.  Check out LSN for last year.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 10:10:13 PM »
you're comparing apples and oranges. for people that were testing well into the upper 170s and prepped hard,a 10+ point drop is devastating. i don't see why this is so hard to understand. it's the equivalent of someone who's practiced at 160 levels on many many tests and tailored their apps to schools finding out they got a 150. who are you to say 165 should be satisfactory for everybody? in that case, why not 155? leave the people that are upset alone, all you're doing is rubbing salt in their wounds.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 10:18:51 PM »
thank you sea dream.... i am so sick of hearing "166 is still a really good score blah blah blah"... perhaps when i can think clearly again i will become more reasonable about this (doubtful) but at the moment i can't handle hearing it... obviously it is hard to compare this score with what i was averaging on all my practice tests... when i was expecting a 175+ this was a pretty brutal shock.  i don't even WANT to go to harvard or yale necessarily, but i still feel like i've failed myself.  i can't believe how many of us there are who were testing really high and came out with such dissapointing scores... i feel pathetically mediocre right now. 

contemplating retaking.  undecided. 

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 10:29:21 PM »
i can't believe it either. i seriously feel like something was wrong with this test administration. i don't see how they can preset 11/12 of the scales and set it to this ridiculously hard for high scorers. i almost got no. 1 on RC wrong- it was, what is the tone of the people in the third paragraph, and i misread it as first paragraph. thankfully, i caught it out of SHEER f-ing LUCK, a minute before time was called after i'd finished the section. no time to look at any of the others i was iffy on.. i wasn't even iffy on this one, i just made a stupid mistake, and i caught it by some miracle. if that kind of mistake can cause 2point drops, and 2 point drops 3 times in the 170s scale- i could easily be crying out of frustration right now.

those of you that did poorly.. i'd suggest retaking in Feb, even if you are set on applying this cycle. you guys worked hard and prepped and i'd write this off as an anomaly. Sure, scales are getting harder, but i know some of you here have done fully well close to 180 on october and etc, and what happened was a fluke. you made a mistake, misinterpreted games, etc. i don't care, take it again. i don't think you have anything to lose and everything to gain. and complain all you want.

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 11:24:15 PM »
i can't believe it either. i seriously feel like something was wrong with this test administration. i don't see how they can preset 11/12 of the scales and set it to this ridiculously hard for high scorers. i almost got no. 1 on RC wrong- it was, what is the tone of the people in the third paragraph, and i misread it as first paragraph. thankfully, i caught it out of SHEER f-ing LUCK, a minute before time was called after i'd finished the section. no time to look at any of the others i was iffy on.. i wasn't even iffy on this one, i just made a stupid mistake, and i caught it by some miracle. if that kind of mistake can cause 2point drops, and 2 point drops 3 times in the 170s scale- i could easily be crying out of frustration right now.

those of you that did poorly.. i'd suggest retaking in Feb, even if you are set on applying this cycle. you guys worked hard and prepped and i'd write this off as an anomaly. Sure, scales are getting harder, but i know some of you here have done fully well close to 180 on october and etc, and what happened was a fluke. you made a mistake, misinterpreted games, etc. i don't care, take it again. i don't think you have anything to lose and everything to gain. and complain all you want.

Thanks again for the reality check / vote of confidence.

We must march onwards! to Feb!

The most annoying component is squandering a -0 LR performance on -games- of all things.

Feb can't be worse scale wise, it's just impossible.

The other great thing: Feb is close. I already have my ticket! I am going to drill mercilessly on games in the mean time.

Funny tidbit to show how deep my ego problems go: I thought my 165 was a hoax email.

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 11:34:27 PM »
You know I'm your biggest fan here. Without that problem on the games you should have gotten a higher score than me. Completely sincere, we compared notes for weeks.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 12:02:42 AM »
Hey PeasantRock, Ellie26, et. al.

I'm in the same boat as you guys, and completely understand your disappointment.  Like SeaDream said, a couple oversights can make the difference between a good score and a huge disappointment.

I'm probably going to retake, and I'm hoping that you guys all rock it the second time.  Prep hard, don't get discouraged, and do your best!

Congrats SeaDream on your great performance.