Law School Discussion

Martha gets 5 months

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Martha gets 5 months
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2004, 10:36:06 AM »
She's being used as a scapegoat because of her celebrity.  It doesn't really matter than she hasn't really done what the media is making her out to have done.  That's why it's ridiculous that she's being treated as a person who ran over a kid while driving drunk when all she did was run a stop sign.  It's riduculous, and I don't like it, but my cynical eyes and ears are not surprised she is being treated this way. 

I am indeed surprised by it because she did nothing that constitutes corporate scandal.

That'd be like taking someone who runs a stop sign to court in an attempt to send a message to drunken drivers...

If Martha is guilty she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the judicial system (no more because she's a celebrity and no less because she's a celebrity) but Martha is being used as an example/attempt to crack down on corporate scandal.But are we really suprised by this?  ;)

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2004, 10:38:09 AM »
What suprises me is that DMX's real name is Earl. It's no wonder he changed his artistic name.

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2004, 10:41:40 AM »
What suprises me is that DMX's real name is Earl. It's no wonder he changed his artistic name.

Yeah, but whenever I hear "DMX" I immediately think of the 80s and little punk boys with little bicycles...  ;D

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2004, 11:06:39 AM »
While her daughter was dating Waksal, Martha began to date him also. Waksal and Martha are no longer together and just admit to being "friends" but even sources like CNN will say that there was a romantic relationship b/w them.

Eeek, no wonder her daughter doesn't want to take over the family business!

jgruber

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2004, 06:05:35 PM »
Didn't she work as a stock broker earlier in her career?

Bman

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2004, 06:11:20 PM »
I think the judge got it about right. I agree with the posters who said that she almost certainly would not be pursued this vigorously if she wasn't a celebrity. But she was charged and she unquestionably committed a crime- the fact that there was no real underlying crime does not make it ok to lie to the police. She could have easily chosen not to speak to them.