Law School Discussion

Martha gets 5 months

Re: Martha gets 5 months
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2004, 09:28:22 AM »
Ken Lay was just recently indicted on several charges, including some that seem erroneous simply to bump of the prison term.  He deserves it, though.  And Bush was never convicted, or even charged, with anything.  Besides, Bush is accused by some of his critics of insider trading.  Martha was not found guilty of insider trading, but instead lieing to prosecutors and obstruction of justice. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

This whole thing is BS!  What about the Keating 5 (includes John McCain) who looted the savings and loans industry in the 80's?  Or Ken Lay, or our own President who did the same thing back in Texas? Make an example out of them.  Our system is a joke.

If Martha Stuart was Bush, she never would have been tried.

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2004, 09:31:31 AM »
I agree w/ Maroon that her defense strategy was deplorable. The prosecution really had very little on her and were obviously out to get her. They wanted to get her for insider trading, but what she did isn't considered insider trading. If she would've spoken to her lawyer immediately, then none of this would have ever happened. She could've said nothing to investigators w/ or w/out her lawyer. If they really wanted to hear her they could've gotten a subpoena and instead she talked and made up some bs story on her own.

I find the prosecutors over zealous in this case since she didn't do anything wrong to begin w/. She obviously didn't know what constituted as insider training and felt pressured by investigators.

I think that the media has tried her and you can't really blame them for what has come out. Afterall, she stole her daughter's boyfriend, Sam Waksal, the CEO of ImClone. This relationship would look suspicious to anyone.

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2004, 09:33:50 AM »

Yeah, because if DMX (Earl Simmons) loses his image if found guilty for his alleged actions it isn't important. In that case Robert Downey Jr, Charlie Sheen, NHL star Kevin Stevens, and Nascar driver Samuel Potashnick should really steam your carrots because all allegedly found guilty of possession heroin and/or crack cocaine and violence and the only one who served a "significant" amount of jail time was Robert Downey, Jr.

I don't know about "steaming my carrots" (btw - I love that, can I adopt it?), but yeah, it does bug me that celebrities who do "serious" crime sometimes get off the hook a little too easily.  Not that lying isn't a crime, but I don't really think it compares to drugs, theft, and/or violence in terms of being a threat to society at large.

If Martha is guilty she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the judicial system (no more because she's a celebrity and no less because she's a celebrity) but Martha is being used as an example/attempt to crack down on corporate scandal.But are we really suprised by this?  ;)

And no, I'm not surprised by it, it just "steams my carrots." ;D

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2004, 09:35:42 AM »
"Yeah, because if DMX (Earl Simmons) loses his image if found guilty for his alleged actions it isn't important. In that case Robert Downey Jr, Charlie Sheen, NHL star Kevin Stevens, and Nascar driver Samuel Potashnick should really steam your carrots because all allegedly found guilty of possession heroin and/or crack cocaine and violence and the only one who served a "significant" amount of jail time was Robert Downey, Jr.

Hey don't forget Heidi Fleiss!

daynee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2004, 09:36:29 AM »
Ken Lay was just recently indicted on several charges, including some that seem erroneous simply to bump of the prison term.  He deserves it, though.  And Bush was never convicted, or even charged, with anything.  Besides, Bush is accused by some of his critics of insider trading.  Martha was not found guilty of insider trading, but instead lieing to prosecutors and obstruction of justice. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

This whole thing is BS!  What about the Keating 5 (includes John McCain) who looted the savings and loans industry in the 80's?  Or Ken Lay, or our own President who did the same thing back in Texas? Make an example out of them.  Our system is a joke.

If Martha Stuart was Bush, she never would have been tried.

Exactly!

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2004, 09:39:38 AM »

I think that the media has tried her and you can't really blame them for what has come out. Afterall, she stole her daughter's boyfriend, Sam Waksal, the CEO of ImClone. This relationship would look suspicious to anyone.

Hey, what happened with the boyfriend?  I never heard about that ???

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2004, 09:49:38 AM »
While her daughter was dating Waksal, Martha began to date him also. Waksal and Martha are no longer together and just admit to being "friends" but even sources like CNN will say that there was a romantic relationship b/w them.

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 09:50:59 AM »
i think it's pretty obvious that martha stewart was railroaded by the media from the beginning. the fact is, the government knew they couldn't make a case on the initial charges, and used leaks to the media to get the talking heads talking.

it reminded me of the impeachment saga, when ridiculous rumors were flying everywhere. remember when sam donaldson went on tv and said that the clinton administration could be measured in weeks, if not days? on what evidence?

clearly, she showed poor judgement, but what kind of message does it send about our legal system that a poor defense against hyped up charges can land someone in jail?

and to bring it back to bush, the evidence that bush was guilty of insider trading was overwhelming. if it wasn't for the fact that it was during the time his father was the president, he would have faced a serious inquiry. instead, it was whitewashed, and while bush proclaims he was vindicated, even the political appointee who 'investigated' him says taht he wasn't fully vindicated, it was just never fully investigated.

daynee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 09:52:18 AM »
While her daughter was dating Waksal, Martha began to date him also. Waksal and Martha are no longer together and just admit to being "friends" but even sources like CNN will say that there was a romantic relationship b/w them.

Eww.  Just... eww.  My mom and I dating the same guy?  Only slightly less creepy than Woody and Sun Yi.

Martha - love ya and support ya and think you got screwed and all, but: getting with your daughter's man?  Eww.

Ginatio

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 10:22:56 AM »
I am indeed surprised by it because she did nothing that constitutes corporate scandal.

That'd be like taking someone who runs a stop sign to court in an attempt to send a message to drunken drivers...

If Martha is guilty she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the judicial system (no more because she's a celebrity and no less because she's a celebrity) but Martha is being used as an example/attempt to crack down on corporate scandal.But are we really suprised by this?  ;)