Law School Discussion

Why do you want to be a Corporate Lawyer?

hyacinthsarise

• hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you want to be a Corporate Lawyer?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 01:36:58 PM »
Because I like really expensive bicycles.

180!

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
I'm interested in the financial stability, and I like the idea of breaking glass ceilings by rising to the top in a white male dominated environment (I'm a woman of color). Also I believe that corporate cultures will never change to be more friendly to women, minorities, etc if women and minorities and etc don't try to affect change from the inside out. 

Amen sista.

I don't to work so much IN business law, as work help businesses avoid getting sued when the *ahem* rearrange their benefits packages.

I'm terrible, throw rocks at me.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 04:51:13 PM »
two words: STUDENT LOANS

once those are paid off, i'd love to do something that doesn't involve selling my soul 80 hours a week.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 06:49:47 AM »
I want to do corporate law so I can afford a Playstation 3.

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 08:32:41 PM »
Three reasons:
1) I'm finishing a BBA and would like to use what I've learned.
2) To further my right wing agenda.
3) To purchase a 6000+ sq.ft home.

It works out perfectly!  8)

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 10:43:50 PM »
I want to be a corporate lawyer because I honestly believe that the cancer clusters have nothing to do with the nearby lead smelters, refineries and plastics plants.

Cleverness should not go unappreciated. Thus,

Hahahaha...

You know, these cases are infinite... good public interest lawyers are just too rare.

I want to make a lot of money, but I plan to lead an ethical life. I don't want to work for a mega-firm... although certain ones on Vault sound freaking sweet. I want to work for a company, in house. My brother-in-law does IP in house at HP. It pays as well, relaxed atmosphere... 9am-5pm. And he doesn't do papers for demons like Halliburton and Coca Cola. Just HP. Perfect.

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 10:48:39 PM »
I want to be a corporate lawyer because I honestly believe that the cancer clusters have nothing to do with the nearby lead smelters, refineries and plastics plants.

Cleverness should not go unappreciated. Thus,

Hahahaha...

You know, these cases are infinite... good public interest lawyers are just too rare.

I want to make a lot of money, but I plan to lead an ethical life. I don't want to work for a mega-firm... although certain ones on Vault sound freaking sweet. I want to work for a company, in house. My brother-in-law does IP in house at HP. It pays as well, relaxed atmosphere... 9am-5pm. And he doesn't do papers for demons like Halliburton and Coca Cola. Just HP. Perfect.

This is my dream job, but it'll never happen.

Hobert

• Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 04:54:27 AM »
I was talking to an in house patent attorney at work yesterday who is working on one of my patents. (We get to sign and send it off today  ;D) He was an engineer here and then somehow got an offer to be an in house patent attorney if he were to go get his JD. He then attended a local Tier 4 school part time. I should have asked him what led to that offer... Now that I think about it, he seems to have a bunch of patents on his wall for which he was the inventor. He also mentioned the hardest part of the transition was to go from being the inventor to the attorney.  He probably was excellent contributor to our patent portfolio and perhaps that led to the offer.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 05:15:00 AM »
I have no desire to work biglaw. At all. Oh, sure, if I can get a summer job I'll try it out.... But I dunno I could stand that lifestyle.

However, I might be willing to try a small firm. And I'd dearly love to work in-house. Not quite technical enough to work patent, alas, though. I'd love to.