Law School Discussion

penn law optional essays

verbal

• View Profile
penn law optional essays
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »
is anyone writing the optional essays for penn. how many are u writing.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: penn law optional essays
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 01:43:04 PM »
Most people who applied tend to agree that the Penn optional essay is not optional.  Some people got in without writing it, of course, but the consensus last year was that the "optional" essay is pretty much necessary.

pgcc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »
Optional is only optional if you do not want to get in.

Lucky77

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 02:16:44 PM »
I think I wrote them all. Diversity, Why Penn (btw $20 says nobody on here can beat my Why Penn essay), and addendum type thing explaining GPA discrepencies.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 03:28:20 PM »
I didn't want to write the Why Penn essay because the only reason I have for applying to Penn, besides it being a good "top" school, is the joint MBE program, only I'm not applying to that now and it seems like maybe a bad idea to say I am only applying because of this other thing that's not even law-related, necessarily.

It's like telling a girl that you want to become her friend mostly so that you can have sex with her best friend.

And I'd already planned to write an addendum on my grades and such, so basically I wrote the diversity essay.

But my diversity essay is super lame because while it's well-written, it doesn't really, I don't think, get the job done.  But my application vomits diversity out of every orifice -- any strong attempt at that essay would have just re-hashed old material.

mifimo

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:17:21 PM »
does anyone have any say about optionality of the essay from any authority in the admissions office? it seems silly that the majority of Penn students had a great reason besides the obvious (reputation, ranking, etc). I can imagine that a good essay would help, but I suspect it's optional because it's optional, not because they're testing or tricking you in some way.

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 12:37:39 AM »
I don't think anyone in the Penn office is going to be like, "No, you have no shot unless you write the Penn optional essay."  Besides exposes their own system, that would just result in very bad things, I think.  Plus, there is a reason why it's optional and not required, I'm sure.

Or you'll get someone who feels sensitive to the plight of the applicant and tells all.

RocketBot

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 12:59:31 AM »
does anyone have any say about optionality of the essay from any authority in the admissions office? it seems silly that the majority of Penn students had a great reason besides the obvious (reputation, ranking, etc). I can imagine that a good essay would help, but I suspect it's optional because it's optional, not because they're testing or tricking you in some way.

It's not that they're tricking anyone.  I mean, they in general want students who want to be there for what it is, and not only because it's highly ranked.  This is also why ED can confer *some* advantage, beacuse it is appealing for an adcomm to know that you, above all, want to be at his/her school.  I see nothing wrong with Penn and Michigan using essays, as many see them as "bridge" schools between the upper-upper echelon (HYSCCN) and the "rest" of the T14.  I actually wonder why Virginia doesn't use the same approach.

Also, I think writing the Why Penn essay is a good exercise in getting to know the school, and being comfortable with going there even if you are hoping for somewhere else.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 06:02:03 AM »
thanks for give me suggestion

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
It is very important. I am a student, I want to learn this. Before few days, I was facing a problem. My school organized an essay speech competition, I wanted to participate in a speech competition. But I was very confused, I didn't have any best speech-related topics. Therefore, I was searching on the Internet about topics related to essay speech and luckily I found https://topicsmill.com/speech/ site. After that, I searched for topics related to essay speech on this site. This site had different topics for study-related, and finally, I got a good topic for my essay writing. Well, unfortunately, I didn't  win the competition but everyone phrases my topic.