Law School Discussion

NTS needs advice: to marry or not to marry?

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NTS needs advice: to marry or not to marry?
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 02:44:42 PM »
I am 31 (will be 32 in a month), am currently employed full-time, finishing my undergrad full-time and I'm getting married in January 2006.  My fiance has her MBA already, so she is fully supportive of my going to law school.  She has given me full freedom to get into the best law school I can get into, regardless of location and is helping me find extra funding so that I don't ahve to work part-time during 1L.

If the guy is going to be supportive and understanding of the fact that Law School and 1L in particular is a full time job, then go for it.  I would think that having someone there to "have your back" will be a tremendously stabilizing thing when trying to get all of your work done in Law School.  As long as you guys are mature enough to handle the pressure that comes with both, which you seem to be, then you really ought to be fine

Good Luck with everything

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
My first post here so I'm a little nervous.

I have to agree with the pro-marriage types here. Marriage -- a good one -- is stabilizing. Everything you encounter from here on out will be stress full so why not do it with someone to whom you are committed for the rest of your life to help support you.

Also the empirical social science data shows living together prior to marriage decreases the chances for a successful marriage.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 01:47:51 PM »
aww, piraeus- you gots the cutest baby!  :)

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 03:58:14 PM »
Thanks Shellbell. You sure know how to make a new father beam.

Mpmav1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
My wife and I were together for about 5 years before our marriage. Its fair to say we went through most of the "first year" stuff long before we actually got married, but I can tell you that for me (us) things have only gotten better since we were engaged and even more since we married. There is a sense of comfort and security that we have that seems to make things easier, not harder. Of course we are now trying to figure out the kid thing, but I'm not worried.

I totally agree.  Everyone talks about the "troubles" of first year marriage.  I've been married for a year and dated for 3 years... of course I don't want to diminish the fact that the first year can be challenging.  However, it's important to note that there really is no "norm."  My wife and I have argued way less and are happier now than ever (and no, we are not in a honeymoon phase).  If you guys communicate well now and have a realistic idea of what marriage actually is and the sacrifices and grace that marriage demands, I wouldn’t take your 1L into account. 

Much more importantly: what do your closest friends think? What does your family think?  If they are in support… go for it!  Congratulations also, by the way… it is definitely an exciting time in life to be at! 

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »
I have a friend who is a 2L at Duke and she says her husband saved her sanity her first year -- made sure she ate, did the housework, etc. 

Men  :-\

EDIT: My bad. HE did the housework. I thought you meant he made sure SHE did the housework. It makes sense now. Sorry guys!  ::)

How did I MISS this post?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ON YOU!!!

>:(

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 06:46:52 PM »
How did I MISS this post?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ON YOU!!!

>:(

Prolly cuz it was from 10/05.  ::)

I was around then.