Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (36.4%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.3%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.2%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.5%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.6%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.3%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Black Law Student Discussion Board

A.

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #48970 on: August 16, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
your one serious post for the yr... still wrong though...what's wrong with it is that it's one person's view.. as i said it's very subjective.. and you guys are using it as if it's a statement of fact.. and that's incorrect..

it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in high school.. does that make them different from most?

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks? it's akin to saying there are certain professions that are made for black folks and others that are made for whites...there's a slippery slope that we're riding here...

If that's what y'all wore in hs, then yall were all some bougie ass dressin' nukkas. I don't know what else to say. And, it's not like certain professions are made for whites. Profession is not cultural at all.

You with your bougie-ass plasma TV!

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48971 on: August 16, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
that's still ridiculous tho....so the black kids who grow up in a certain neighborhood where A&F is common is automatically bougie?  that's ridiculous...that's what they where bc that's what they've been exposed to.

Umm.. I don't say ridiculous things. So, yah, it's not ridic at all.  :D

But really, I'm not saying they are bougie. I'm saying that wearing the clothes is. There's much more that goes into being bougie than just clothes. They need the, what I will call "Alci trifecta" - bougie clothes, bougie music and bougie politics.  :D :D :D

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48972 on: August 16, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »
How come ppl only respond to my joke posts? You ppl suck!

You had a serious post?  Where?

(jk.  I dunno, 'Poto, I guess I just disagree - clothing, though at times developed in a culturally specific manner, does not and cannot remain in the sole province of the "culture" that "developed" it.  Also, that would presuppose that someone could create designs without any influence from any culture outside that with which they primarily identify.  Also also, if we allow for clothing to be strictly cultural in nature, your phrasing allows "white" clothing to be the standard or norm, because it is most predominate in our society, while creating "black" clothing as an other.  This then stigmatizes blacks for wearing "white" clothing, because it would seem to then inherently signify an attempt to "pass."  Where does it end?  Is someone bougie for wearing a suit, then?  If a black designer makes what you would call "white" clothing, did they sell out?  Since clothing, like any art, is not created in a vacuum, I think it's vastly unjust to allot styles to races, beyond perhaps traditional ethnic garb.  There's a chicken and egg argument here - you seem to hold that culture creates clothing, and I think that, perhaps, it's the other way around, and culture springs up and can be created around and through a unifying element of clothes.)

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #48973 on: August 16, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
ROFL at these bourgie Negroes gettin' upset because they're being brought to light. It's true! :D

Although, I've recently befriended someone who makes all y'all seem *far* from bourgie :( Sometimes (s)he says things and I don't know what she's talking about but I just grin and nod :-[

Thank you.  This conversation is too ridiculous for words.

honestly, i don't even shop at BR or JCRew or rock abercrombie...yet i still think that calling those brands bougie (espoecially in the case of BR where you wouldn't even know it's br by looking) is retarded.

are you f-ing serious? I don't agree with the BR bougie stuff. that's just whatever to me. But Abercrombie is the white man's official clothing line.

that's still ridiculous tho....so the black kids who grow up in a certain neighborhood where A&F is common is automatically bougie?  that's ridiculous...that's what they where bc that's what they've been exposed to.

people who grow up uppermiddle class are bougie.  sorry.  maybe we need another word because bougie has been so maligned, but it is what it is.  those clothes are rocked by those with sufficiently high incomes to afford them.

SKW

• View Profile
« Reply #48974 on: August 16, 2007, 01:27:13 PM »
In light of today's topic just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on designer jeans e.g., True Religion, Seven For All Mankind, Joe's Jeans, etc. Would you consider these brands bougie as well?

again...i'm not cheap like some ppl on this board seem to be.  those jeans, while pricey, are generally better quality and will last longer than the jeans one gets of old navy.

Agreed. While they're up there in price I feel that in regards to the quality and fit of the jeans, they're well worth the $.

« Reply #48975 on: August 16, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in my high school.. does that make them different from most?

Socioeconomic class has never mattered when it comes to consumption.  People regularly exceed their means to fit in.  Regardless of what the fashion was in your high school, there were numerous Black tastemakers with far more impact on the zeigeist who were transmitting the message that Black people's taste in fashion was much different to the one you preferred. 

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks?

This is silly.  The first time I saw a white boy wearing braids with no irony I did a double take.  You may not know what a black person is perceived to wear but the rest of America has an idea.  They certainly lampoon it well enough at those ghetto fab Halloween parties they are so fond of.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #48976 on: August 16, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »
They need the, what I will call "Alci trifecta" - bougie clothes, bougie music and bougie politics.  :D :D :D

Lol you is just hatin' all around today, nukka.

SKW

• View Profile
« Reply #48977 on: August 16, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
your one serious post for the yr... still wrong though...what's wrong with it is that it's one person's view.. as i said it's very subjective.. and you guys are using it as if it's a statement of fact.. and that's incorrect..

it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in high school.. does that make them different from most?

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks? it's akin to saying there are certain professions that are made for black folks and others that are made for whites...there's a slippery slope that we're riding here...

If that's what y'all wore in hs, then yall were all some bougie ass dressin' nukkas. I don't know what else to say. And, it's not like certain professions are made for whites. Profession is not cultural at all.

You with your bougie-ass plasma TV!

Wait--he redeems himself by playing Madden on that tv.  :D

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48978 on: August 16, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »
ROFL at these bourgie Negroes gettin' upset because they're being brought to light. It's true! :D

Although, I've recently befriended someone who makes all y'all seem *far* from bourgie :( Sometimes (s)he says things and I don't know what she's talking about but I just grin and nod :-[

Thank you.  This conversation is too ridiculous for words.

honestly, i don't even shop at BR or JCRew or rock abercrombie...yet i still think that calling those brands bougie (espoecially in the case of BR where you wouldn't even know it's br by looking) is retarded.

are you f-ing serious? I don't agree with the BR bougie stuff. that's just whatever to me. But Abercrombie is the white man's official clothing line.

people who grow up uppermiddle class are bougie.  sorry.  maybe we need another word because bougie has been so maligned, but it is what it is.  those clothes are rocked by those with sufficiently high incomes to afford them.

::)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48979 on: August 16, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »
Wait--he redeems himself by playing Madden on that tv.  :D

I haven't bought it yet. You're full of hate today, woman.