Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (36.4%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.3%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.2%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.5%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.6%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.3%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #48990 on: August 16, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
You guys have definitions of bougie that I've never seen used before.

To me bougie meant an unwavering taste for expensive/high-class things.

If someone wore Abercrombie but was also willing to wear non-designer clothing, I didn't consider them bougie.

However if they insisted on only wearing Prada and were stuck up about it, then yeah, they were bougie.

honestly, that's how i thought of bougie b4 coming to this board, whose definitions are warped at best imo

« Reply #48991 on: August 16, 2007, 01:41:21 PM »

I call ppl bougie the most on here I think and that has never been my bougie argument. Bougie = heavily assimilated to me.

Wait a sec - who isn't heavily assimilated?  Don't get deluded . . . We been here for hundreds of years - yo ass is assimilated just as much as the next person.

Also, I posted a serious response to your serious post, so now who's being ignored? ::)

yea and he's the same person who was making sad faces when no one responded to his post

« Reply #48992 on: August 16, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
this is true.. we don't know struggle.. we must overcome financial hardships in order to truly understand what it is to be black.. or just because we have.. and did not struggle..we should in some way be ashamed for what we have.. or denounce whatever upbringing because the majority of black folks didn't have it...

i don't understand why we have to be separate from one another because of the way that we were brought up.. it's just real confusing to me.. how people alienate themselves from one another because there's a misconception that folks have thier heads high up in the clouds because they didn't have to struggle financially to build wealth..or whatever other thought constitutes "bougie" among you all..

honestly, i think, after having been on here for over a year, that black people who don't grow up poor and are middle/upper middle class are automatically called bougie simply bc of not having lived the typical/stereotypical poor black upbringing.  it's smh worthy

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48993 on: August 16, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

If someone wore Abercrombie but was also willing to wear non-designer clothing, I didn't consider them bougie.

However if they insisted on only wearing Prada and were stuck up about it, then yeah, they were bougie.

honestly, that's how i thought of bougie b4 coming to this board, whose definitions are warped at best imo

Makes sense.

« Reply #48994 on: August 16, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »
yes it does

Makes sense.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48995 on: August 16, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »
bougie logic skills too   :D

eta:  :D

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48996 on: August 16, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
Ladies, how do you feel about jeans with chains in the pockets?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #48997 on: August 16, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
wtf.  Pic?

« Reply #48998 on: August 16, 2007, 01:51:10 PM »
it's silly? in the context of this conversation how is it silly? OSA said we're bougie with the whole j crew/br clothing.. certainly you're not saying that she's arguing that blacks should wear baggy pants.. plaid jackets and hoodies in place of that are you?

don't take my post out of context as if i am not privy to the "ghetto" parties..  i'm sorry.. i don't subscribe to that as being black.. or what's associated with being black by blacks.. esp the black folk on this board.. i feel that those that do associate that with "blackness" have issues..

fwiw your braids example has absolutely nothing to do with clothing and is irrelevant in this conversation..

it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in my high school.. does that make them different from most?

Socioeconomic class has never mattered when it comes to consumption.  People regularly exceed their means to fit in.  Regardless of what the fashion was in your high school, there were numerous Black tastemakers with far more impact on the zeigeist who were transmitting the message that Black people's taste in fashion was much different to the one you preferred. 

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks?

This is silly.  The first time I saw a white boy wearing braids with no irony I did a double take.  You may not know what a black person is perceived to wear but the rest of America has an idea.  They certainly lampoon it well enough at those ghetto fab Halloween parties they are so fond of.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile