Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (36.4%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.3%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.2%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.5%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.6%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.3%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #48960 on: August 16, 2007, 01:17:34 PM »
your one serious post for the yr... still wrong though...what's wrong with it is that it's one person's view.. as i said it's very subjective.. and you guys are using it as if it's a statement of fact.. and that's incorrect..

it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in high school.. does that make them different from most?

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks? it's akin to saying there are certain professions that are made for black folks and others that are made for whites...there's a slippery slope that we're riding here...

What's so wrong with saying black people don't wear a certain brand of clothing? Y'all gettin sensitive when we can't come right out and say somethin' that is true. Black ppl don't generally wear J Crew; it's some white folk stuff. I'm sorry, but it is. There are differences between the two races in terms of culture. We say tons of stuff on this board that a white person would never say. Hell, that a white person would not even know about. Why? Because of the differences in culture. A key component of culture is style of dress. It seems to me, therefore, that it isn't a big deal to say that certain clothing is more associated with one race or the other. If you like dressin' like a nilla then so be it. You like the white man's style. That's cool. Do you. But how come I can't say that *&^%?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48961 on: August 16, 2007, 01:17:40 PM »
ROFL at these bourgie Negroes gettin' upset because they're being brought to light. It's true! :D

Although, I've recently befriended someone who makes all y'all seem *far* from bourgie :( Sometimes (s)he says things and I don't know what she's talking about but I just grin and nod :-[

yep.notice how the bougies ignored my post. it's fine. there's still room for yall at the table. we'll make sure to make your chicken not spicy.  :D

« Reply #48962 on: August 16, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
ROFL at these bourgie Negroes gettin' upset because they're being brought to light. It's true! :D

Although, I've recently befriended someone who makes all y'all seem *far* from bourgie :( Sometimes (s)he says things and I don't know what she's talking about but I just grin and nod :-[

Thank you.  This conversation is too ridiculous for words.

honestly, i don't even shop at BR or JCRew or rock abercrombie...yet i still think that calling those brands bougie (espoecially in the case of BR where you wouldn't even know it's br by looking) is retarded.

SKW

• View Profile
« Reply #48963 on: August 16, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
In light of today's topic just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on designer jeans e.g., True Religion, Seven For All Mankind, Joe's Jeans, etc. Would you consider these brands bougie as well?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48964 on: August 16, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »

honestly, i don't even shop at BR or JCRew or rock abercrombie...yet i still think that calling those brands bougie (espoecially in the case of BR where you wouldn't even know it's br by looking) is retarded.

are you f-ing serious? I don't agree with the BR bougie stuff. that's just whatever to me. But Abercrombie is the white man's official clothing line.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48965 on: August 16, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »
In light of today's topic just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on designer jeans e.g., True Religion, Seven For All Mankind, Joe's Jeans, etc. Would you consider these brands bougie as well?

I wouldn't. Just really expensive.

ETA: I define bougie just for black ppl. Bougie for me is wearing something that is white folk stuff. The closer to the nilla side, the closer to bougie I think it is.

« Reply #48966 on: August 16, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
two of my teenage cousins swear by true religions.. i don't think they're bougie.. i think they're entirely too expensive though...

« Reply #48967 on: August 16, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »

are you f-ing serious? I don't agree with the BR bougie stuff. that's just whatever to me. But Abercrombie is the white man's official clothing line.

that's still ridiculous tho....so the black kids who grow up in a certain neighborhood where A&F is common is automatically bougie?  that's ridiculous...that's what they where bc that's what they've been exposed to.

again...i'm not cheap like some ppl on this board seem to be.  those jeans, while pricey, are generally better quality and will last longer than the jeans one gets of old navy.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48968 on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »
your one serious post for the yr... still wrong though...what's wrong with it is that it's one person's view.. as i said it's very subjective.. and you guys are using it as if it's a statement of fact.. and that's incorrect..

it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in high school.. does that make them different from most?

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks? it's akin to saying there are certain professions that are made for black folks and others that are made for whites...there's a slippery slope that we're riding here...

If that's what y'all wore in hs, then yall were all some bougie ass dressin' nukkas. I don't know what else to say. And, it's not like certain professions are made for whites. Profession is not cultural at all.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #48969 on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »

Of course they do.  "Why can't you just get some Levi's?"