Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (36.4%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.3%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.2%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.5%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.6%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.3%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Black Law Student Discussion Board

A.

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #48950 on: August 16, 2007, 01:05:04 PM »
some are more tied to the image of their school than others.

Doesn't matter.  Bougie.  We all some bougie negroes up in heah!

I already said that.  But bougie is a mentality as much as it is a status--and a lot of it is the image you are striving to present so if my rationale for doing a certain thing is different than the norm even though it ends in the same manifestation one can say that one is certainly bougier than the other.

See now you're adding all sorts of qualifications when it comes to yourself.  What if I buy the clothes simply b/c I like them, they're comfortable, and they're quality (true).  That's different from a teenager's rationale for buying them being 99% status.  So that means that I'm not bougie, right?  Your model is falling apart!

nope I already said I'm bougie.  I'm just saying you are more bougie.  Bannana Republic isn't any more quality than Old Navy or Gap--yet people will pay for the uptick why?  image/branding.  all three are bougie, BR is bougier.

BR has better designs.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #48951 on: August 16, 2007, 01:06:09 PM »

I already said that.  But bougie is a mentality as much as it is a status--and a lot of it is the image you are striving to present so if my rationale for doing a certain thing is different than the norm even though it ends in the same manifestation one can say that one is certainly bougier than the other.

See now you're adding all sorts of qualifications when it comes to yourself.  What if I buy the clothes simply b/c I like them, they're comfortable, and they're quality (true).  That's different from a teenager's rationale for buying them being 99% status.  So that means that I'm not bougie, right?  Your model is falling apart!

nope I already said I'm bougie.  I'm just saying you are more bougie.  Bannana Republic isn't any more quality than Old Navy or Gap--yet people will pay for the uptick why?  image/branding.  all three are bougie, BR is bougier.

never before have i heard old navy and bougie in the same sentence. 

lol.

« Reply #48952 on: August 16, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »
old navy's quality is not the same as gap or br.. and one cannot assume that a person who shops @ br doesn't shop @ the other two stores either..

you've already dismantled part of your theory when you brought up the possibility of buying something from br for $5.. i certainly hope that you don't think that's impossible..i have quite a few skirts that i've bought on clearance for that price..

but anyway.. br isn't even "bougie" read: high end.. it's still the average place to go for business casual.. personally tailored shirts or brooks brothers- definitely more high end than br.. or neiman marcas..i don't think i've ever seen anything @ brooks brothers on clearance for $5...

but all of us are in our 20s.. do you really think that we're so "caught up" in labels? like #1 said.. this isn't high school..

and i certainly hope that if one is practicing big law then they aren't opting to go to say h&m for all of their business attire... if so one will have to buy many many suits lol...

nope I already said I'm bougie.  I'm just saying you are more bougie.  Bannana Republic isn't any more quality than Old Navy or Gap--yet people will pay for the uptick why?  image/branding.  all three are bougie, BR is bougier.

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48953 on: August 16, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

never before have i heard old navy and bougie in the same sentence. 

:D Word.

And I'm gonna go ahead and go out on a limb and say I'm not bougie, based on the definitions being tossed around here - I don't care what anyone thinks about where I got my clothes or the price of same.  In fact, most people have never heard of most of the ish I wear, much less being able to guess what it did or did not cost, and that's fine by me.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #48954 on: August 16, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »

BR has better designs.

no--BR/gap designs are about the same.  there is sometimes a drop off in designs with old navy, but not enough to justify 3x the price for the same material.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48955 on: August 16, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
How come ppl only respond to my joke posts? You ppl suck!

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #48956 on: August 16, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
old navy's quality is not the same as gap or br.. and one cannot assume that a person who shops @ br doesn't shop @ the other two stores either..

you've already dismantled part of your theory when you brought up the possibility of buying something from br for $5.. i certainly hope that you don't think that's impossible..i have quite a few skirts that i've bought on clearance for that price..

but anyway.. br isn't even "bougie" read: high end.. it's still the average place to go for business casual.. personally tailored shirts or brooks brothers- definitely more high end than br.. or neiman marcas..i don't think i've ever seen anything @ brooks brothers on clearance for $5...

but all of us are in our 20s.. do you really think that we're so "caught up" in labels? like #1 said.. this isn't high school..

and i certainly hope that if one is practicing big law then they aren't opting to go to say h&m for all of their business attire... if so one will have to buy many many suits lol...

nope I already said I'm bougie.  I'm just saying you are more bougie.  Bannana Republic isn't any more quality than Old Navy or Gap--yet people will pay for the uptick why?  image/branding.  all three are bougie, BR is bougier.

no I definitely don't think it is impossible--I've certainly done it.  I'm talking about people who shop there habitually and  who generally buy full price.  Anything can be a good deal.

By definition an attorney is going to  be uppermiddle class--one would assume their wardrobe would reflect that

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #48957 on: August 16, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »
no--BR/gap designs are about the same.  there is sometimes a drop off in designs with old navy, but not enough to justify 3x the price for the same material.

They most certainly are not.  Especially pants.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #48958 on: August 16, 2007, 01:15:47 PM »
ROFL at these bourgie Negroes gettin' upset because they're being brought to light. It's true! :D

Although, I've recently befriended someone who makes all y'all seem *far* from bourgie :( Sometimes (s)he says things and I don't know what she's talking about but I just grin and nod :-[

Thank you.  This conversation is too ridiculous for words.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #48959 on: August 16, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
is Lane Bryant bourgie? prolly not because you can't be fat and bourgie. They don't go together. ;D

I would say yes actually.  dress barn--no.