Law School Discussion

Cuz I'm Curious

Re: Cuz I'm Curious
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
Didn't Michigan's OCI just start yesterday?  How can you know nobody's getting callbacks?

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
Sorry, good call. I was under the impression that it started last week. Same on Duke.

However, Columbia did start earlier, and those have gone pretty badly, assuming there's not going to be a late wave of callbacks. It won't be better for the 7-14 level schools.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 11:50:38 AM »
Okay. That sucks, but at least I know what's up now.

So, a couple other related questions:

If things look this grim for the T14, what the hell do grads of the other 175 or so law schools do? I mean, I kinda don't get it.

Also, what's doc review? Other than knowing it's highly undesirable, I don't have a clue.

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
A primer on doc review:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/

The majority of students at the other law schools are going to be screwed for any kind of decent legal work. You're going to see a lot of people doing paralegal type work and non-legal jobs just to pay the bills.

Okay. That sucks, but at least I know what's up now.

So, a couple other related questions:

If things look this grim for the T14, what the hell do grads of the other 175 or so law schools do? I mean, I kinda don't get it.

Also, what's doc review? Other than knowing it's highly undesirable, I don't have a clue.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »
M_Cool, what is your indiation that OCI is so brutal this year?  It seems like firms are hiring less, but there are still jobs out there.  A couple years ago, my friend was a transfer from a tier 4 to a top 10 and he had 20 job offers.  Literally, 20.  Hell, if prospects even decline 75%, that's still 5 job offers.

that's assuming there is a uniform drop in the number of job offers for all candidates.

what's more likely to occur is the people at the top will see a small drop and the people who are in the middle will see a significantly larger drop.

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
Most people I know either have 1 or 0 callbacks.  The "rockstar" students have like 4.  In the "good years" the average student had 4.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Ouch. Last year firms were still giving out quite a few callback but didn't give that many offers as before. Seems like they're not even bothering with the pretense of the callbacks this time around.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »
Most people I know either have 1 or 0 callbacks.  The "rockstar" students have like 4.  In the "good years" the average student had 4.

^ This. 

But our OCI just ended, and I've heard many firms are completing all their interviews across the country before making decisions, which I think will still only favor the rockstars.  I, unfortunately, am not a rockstar, but only a minor celebrity.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »
So, the short version = if you want to be a real lawyer you need to go to a T5, or do above median at a T14. Otherwise you're a glorified paralegal?

I'm not going to take issue with that suggestion, but will ask yet another question: exactly how do they (the law school collective) attract 40,000 new matriculants (or more) each year?

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »

That's basically the story at FSU this year as far as I can tell.