Law School Discussion

Two JDS?

Two JDS?
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:16 AM »
Just our of curiosity, if one is not satisfy with his/her GPA after 3 years, is that possible to apply for another JD degree, assuming he/she can get full scholarship?  Is that even legal?

Matthies

• View Profile
Re: Two JDS?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:57:07 AM »
Just our of curiosity, if one is not satisfy with his/her GPA after 3 years, is that possible to apply for another JD degree, assuming he/she can get full scholarship?  Is that even legal?

Um, sure I guess you could get a second JD, but why? There are much easier, less time consuming and effective ways to overcome bad grades rather than doing the 3 years over again someplace else.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »

Um, sure I guess you could get a second JD, but why? There are much easier, less time consuming and effective ways to overcome bad grades rather than doing the 3 years over again someplace else.

I don't think you can apply to law school once you've completed a JD elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:13 AM »
Repeated 5 times, so you know it's important.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »

I don't think you can apply to law school once you've completed a JD elsewhere.

Why, other than getting in there is nothing stoping you fron getting a second JD like a second BS, the why you would wnat to is the issue. Additonally why would a school give you a spot over someone else w/o a JD? But I don't think there is any rule against getting two, other than a common sense one.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »
Well I know there are rules in how long you have to complete a JD so I imagine there would probably be rules about getting a second one.  Plus, that would put you at an advantage over other students on the curve I bet and I don't see that being allowed.

Maybe there is no written rule, but I highly doubt any school would admit you.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:11 AM »
Well I know there are rules in how long you have to complete a JD so I imagine there would probably be rules about getting a second one.  Plus, that would put you at an advantage over other students on the curve I bet and I don't see that being allowed.

I think this would be the case, but I do know my school admits people with forgen JDs, even common law. I don't think the school gives much thought as to if one person will screw up the cruve or not. I had law classes (in law school for the LLM/MLS) before I started the JD, so I had an "advatange" I guess, but the school did not care.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »

I know quite a few ones taking two llms, but not sure about J.D.

'blueskies

• your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
But usually don't you get a another BA/BS in a different subject? A JD is a general degree...I don't know if this makes a difference

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:03 AM »

I know quite a few ones taking two llms, but not sure about J.D.

I guess you could allways get the LLM then the JSD if you really loved law school