Law School Discussion

2009 crazy admissions cycle

2009 crazy admissions cycle
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
This is my second year applying to law school as last year I couldnt attend due to financial circumstances. Last year I was admitted to the University of San Diego, Pepperdine, University of Minnesota, and was waitlisted at Davis. This year I have been waitlisted at nearly every school including Pepperdine. Does anyone else see this years admission cycle as really competitive compared to other years?

SamE397

Re: 2009 crazy admissions cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
God, did you kill someone last year?  ;)

BarryLaine

• "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
It certainly could be more competitive, or it could be that the number of applicants is down, but the the number of applications is up - less people applying to more schools.  More people being waitlisted could be a result of yield protection.  But who knows?  It's all speculation.

What are your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure there were about 100 of us begging OP to attend Minnesota last year...

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
URM with 3.5, 159. Have a lot of soft factors as well, worked for a law professor during undergrad.

argo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
Are you an idiot or just naive?  What kind of message about your determination to go to law school, do you think, the adcoms are getting from seeing your app two years in a row?  Note, you did not defer - simply chose not to attend.  They are people there, you know, and you made them work for nothing.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Well I wrote them a letter explaining I was taking a job to pay down student loans for one year. I worked in a top 14 admissions office for two years so don't preach to me about the practices of adcoms, its actually not that uncommon for people to reapply since schools don't allow deferrals these days.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:23:54 AM »
Beware of the law school elites!  They try to make you feel stupid, but they were also the people that you made fun of in high school  :P

Good luck on your cycle.  Are you sending any additional information?  I am on two waitlists, and sending in a letter of continued interest along with a letter of recommendation from the senior vp where I work.  Kentucky meets monthly to review deferred files, and I have been deferred twice!  I am worried they will defer me out to April, and I need to make a decision by then so I can get my things in order.

argo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »
Well I wrote them a letter explaining I was taking a job to pay down student loans for one year. I worked in a top 14 admissions office for two years so don't preach to me about the practices of adcoms, its actually not that uncommon for people to reapply since schools don't allow deferrals these days.

OK, you convinced me.  Now all is left is to convince the people who are supposed to accept you.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:31:43 AM »
George Mason and CU Boulder are acting pretty weird from what I've seen.