Law School Discussion

Best ADR/Negotiation Clinics

Best ADR/Negotiation Clinics
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »
Can anyone weigh in on which top-tier schools offer the best ADR/negotiation clinics?
Thanks.

Re: Best ADR/Negotiation Clinics
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »

I know Northwestern has a negotiations course that is run jointly with the Law and Business school. And I believe their Dispute Resolution program is in the top 10. They may not call it Dispute Resolution either.
Some schools call it Mediation, Conflict Resolution, Arbitration or Negotiation.

Texas, Cornell and Columbia all have ADR program. I don't know where they place on a large scale ranking, but I would assume that these programs are quite reputable just based on the institution

US News has a specialty ranking section that ranks Dispute Resolution and they rank the top 10:
Pepperdine
Harvard tied w/ Missouri-Columbia
Hamiline
Ohio State
Marquette
Oregon
Cardozo
UNLV
Fordham

Re: Best ADR/Negotiation Clinics
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »
Don't even look at those specialty rankings, they are just fluff.  Almost all schools will have some type of ADR/Negotiation clinic/class/workshops/whatever.  Really, the best training is simply to go to a law firm that does this type of work (e.g. international arbitration).  Not trying to be overly cynical, but any tiny difference between these programs at the school are absolutely dwarfed by where you will work after said school.

I can't speak for ADR beyond international arbitration (although this seems to be what most people want to do), but generally the firms who handle this are Debevoise>White & Case>>>Sidley/STB/S&C/Cleary (these are the bigger players, other firms do it but on smaller matters and do much less of it, i.e. they might not necessarily have a whole practice devoted to it). 
If you are interested in this type of work, overall school is much more important than specialty ranking (as it is with almost every practice area).

I know Northwestern has a negotiations course that is run jointly with the Law and Business school. And I believe their Dispute Resolution program is in the top 10. They may not call it Dispute Resolution either.
Some schools call it Mediation, Conflict Resolution, Arbitration or Negotiation.

Texas, Cornell and Columbia all have ADR program. I don't know where they place on a large scale ranking, but I would assume that these programs are quite reputable just based on the institution

US News has a specialty ranking section that ranks Dispute Resolution and they rank the top 10:
Pepperdine
Harvard tied w/ Missouri-Columbia
Hamiline
Ohio State
Marquette
Oregon
Cardozo
UNLV
Fordham