Law School Discussion

Anyone Shomer Shabbos while in law school?

zippyandzap

• Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
Anyone Shomer Shabbos while in law school?
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
Topic in the question I suppose... wondering how difficult it is, if observing on weekday holidays has been very difficult, etc.

zippyandzap

• Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Shomer Shabbos while in law school?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
Question in the topic I suppose... wondering how difficult it is, if observing on weekday holidays has been very difficult, etc.

Bump...

Yeah I don't like when people bump their own threads either, but I'm really curious and figured I'd give it one more shot.

BarryLaine

• "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »
I can't answer your question from personal experience; however, I would imagine that keeping shabbos would be helpful.  I would suggest you go to the nearest law school campus and look for someone wearing a kipah and ask them (if no one with personal experience responds).

...and since today is Friday, Shabbat Shalom!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
One thing is for sure...I sure as sh!t don't f'ing roll on Shomer Shabbos

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
We have a few orthodox Jews at my school, UChicago Law School.  Because I come from a family of observant Jews (ata medaber Hebrit?), I'm friends with many of them, and they say that they wouldn't have it any other way.  They work a little harder on Sundays, but they claim their faith keeps them grounded.  One is them is married with kids, I think, and the other chazar be tsuva, meaning that he's a lapsed but now newly observant Jew.

I don't think it's an issue in law school, though it could be in practice, where it might interfere with billables.  I'm extremely secular, so I don't think about it too much, but I'm sure there are law firms who cater to Jewish lawyers and their Shabbats.

I would make sure to find a law school with a sizable Jewish community.  The other Jews at my school meet up every Friday, drink a few glasses of wine, and relax.  They're able to do this because we live in a small neighborhood, allowing them to walk home.  Although I don't hang out with them (again, I would rather study or go out because I'm secular), I know they have a good time and great outlines.

zippyandzap

• Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »
We have a few orthodox Jews at my school, UChicago Law School.  Because I come from a family of observant Jews (ata medaber Hebrit?), I'm friends with many of them, and they say that they wouldn't have it any other way.  They work a little harder on Sundays, but they claim their faith keeps them grounded.  One is them is married with kids, I think, and the other chazar be tsuva, meaning that he's a lapsed but now newly observant Jew.

I don't think it's an issue in law school, though it could be in practice, where it might interfere with billables.  I'm extremely secular, so I don't think about it too much, but I'm sure there are law firms who cater to Jewish lawyers and their Shabbats.

I would make sure to find a law school with a sizable Jewish community.  The other Jews at my school meet up every Friday, drink a few glasses of wine, and relax.  They're able to do this because we live in a small neighborhood, allowing them to walk home.  Although I don't hang out with them (again, I would rather study or go out because I'm secular), I know they have a good time and great outlines.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

For the record, ani midabair ivrit, aval ktzat. 

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 02:02:53 AM »
-

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:04:01 AM »
banned for spam

- Sands

ruski

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
i am much more interested if anyone has any experience/knowledge about being shomer and working in biglaw? like is it accepted, frowned upon, or even possible to find a job if you are shomer.

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:47 PM »
One thing is for sure...I sure as sh!t don't f'ing roll on Shomer Shabbos

winrar detected