Law School Discussion

ITT We Reassure One Another 'Bout Finals

Matthies

• View Profile
Re: ITT We Reassure One Another 'Bout Finals
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
If I understand the meaning of "hornbook,"

Technically a hornbook is a treatise that covers everything ever decided on a particular subject and is meant a reference or practioners guide for lawyers and judges usually 1500 pages or more in lenght and maybe in a series of volumes; Prossor on Torts is an example. They are updated with pocket parts rather than new editions. They are called hornbooks because in the days of legal libraries in ever lawyers office the treatise were meant to be kept forever and usually had fancy bindings made of horn. An outline or supplement such as Emmanuel’s or Gilberts is just that, an outline of major topics with an eye towards just what law students need to know for their exams or the bar. The two have very diffrent audances and purposes.

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 01:05:52 PM »
Wow, okay, so now I feel totally unprepared.  I haven't actually touched a hornbook all semester except for in my legal research and writing course.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 01:09:34 PM »
Wow, okay, so now I feel totally unprepared.  I haven't actually touched a hornbook all semester except for in my legal research and writing course.

most law studnets will never touch a hornbook, its overkill, peronally I like them, but its way more info then you need to study for exams, I've usd them for take homes or LR papers, but not to prep for exams

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
thanks for the follow up.  made me feel better.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »
i wonder how closely dischord has been following my orders.

See Exile.  Where do you think I've been since 8:15?

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2008, 06:56:20 PM »
My back hurts now  :-\

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »
So who has had exams so far?  Have they gone well?  Any tears after? 

I dont have one till wed  :-\

i don't know if this counts, but i turned in a legal research and writing take-home today.  felt good about it.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »
My back hurts now  :-\

someone's fishing for a massage.

ETA: my manners.  sorry about your back.  maybe you should go take a nice hot bath or something.

Lol.

Seriously, though, I generally am a massage-fisher b/c I have a bad back.  And since I've been sitting in the same position at my computer and becoming ever more stressed for the past three days I'd probably take one from a homeless dude who's covered in his own puke right about now.

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2008, 07:20:15 PM »
why is pjh dischord?  and is the same dischord associated w/fugazi and minor threat?

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »
why is pjh dischord?  and is the same dischord associated w/fugazi and minor threat?

That was my original username last year, and yes, my avatar used to be this:
http://www.antennas-to-heaven.com/minorthreat2.jpg

FTR, people also sometimes refer to me as Standard Bitter or Joey Ramone b/c of other usernames I've used.

a homeless dude who's covered in his own puke

No, I will not give you a backrub.

Obviously I was thinking of you there.