Law School Discussion

Multiple ED Applications?

Multiple ED Applications?
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
Just trying to get a handle on the variances in the Early Decision options:

Is it licit to apply to multiple schools via Early Decision?

Thanks for the info in advance.

econtutorNV

• Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Multiple ED Applications?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
Just trying to get a handle on the variances in the Early Decision options:

Is it licit to apply to multiple schools via Early Decision?

Thanks for the info in advance.

No. You can have as many early action applications in as you want. However, you are only allowed to have one early decision application in, at least according to the schools I've seen. I do not know how (or if) they check, but several schools state that they share the names of those applying Early Decision and will revoke an offer if you apply to more than one ED. As always, check the fine print on the schools that you're thinking about applying Early Decision to.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »
If when you sign the ED contract a school tells you not to apply ED to other programs, don't. Most will tell you not to apply ED to more than one school. This could be purely anecdotal, but it's not unheard of for schools to find out that you've applied ED to more than one place. Don't risk it.

Early Action is different. Check with each school's policy before you apply.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »
I haven't seen too many schools note that I cannot apply to another school ED, only that I must withdraw applications upon acceptance.

For example:

School ABC's ED program notifies by December 15.

School XYZ's ED program notifies by January 15.

If I apply to both ED, get accepted by December 15 to school ABC, couldn't I then withdraw my application from school XYZ?

Sorry if I'm making up possibilities, for law schools, their websites have such ambiguous statements.

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
Well I've never seen an ED with as late a date as January 15th. They are all (from what I've seen) beginning or mid November. Most on the same date. What's the point? Why would you want to apply ED to several schools? The only purpose, as far as I've determined of applying ED is if you are dead set on a school and are under or on the bubble of admissions. Doing that at several schools I can't imagine would come across well to adcomm's....

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »
What's the point? Why would you want to apply ED to several schools? The only purpose, as far as I've determined of applying ED is if you are dead set on a school and are under or on the bubble of admissions.

Indifference on the choice b/w two schools and seeking the tiniest of admissions bumps.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:55:37 PM »
Well I've never seen an ED with as late a date as January 15th. They are all (from what I've seen) beginning or mid November. Most on the same date. What's the point? Why would you want to apply ED to several schools? The only purpose, as far as I've determined of applying ED is if you are dead set on a school and are under or on the bubble of admissions. Doing that at several schools I can't imagine would come across well to adcomm's....

The dates refer to when the law schools notify of admission decisions, not to when applications are due.

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »
Either way, ED is a binding contract stating that if accepted you will withdraw from all other schools and attend that school. What if you apply to school X and school Y and you receive your acceptances at the same time? What if school X emails you their acceptance and the next day you get a snail mail acceptance from school Y? I haven't read the tiny details of the ED contract but I'm sure there is something in there from preventing you to applying ED to multiple schools and then withdrawing if you get one acceptance earlier than another.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:59:52 PM »
Just to throw some specifics your way Univ.of Chicago and Penn have a "binding" early decision application. On the last page of the applications you sign a statement saying that you will not be an early decision applicant at any other school. I would assume this is referring to a program in which you are signing another binding contract for early decision, and not an application in which you are applying early in the process.

There are school that ask you to specify if you are applying to the ED. Obviously if you don't get your application in by the ED deadline (which is usually between Sept and Dec; with some schools giving admittance by December) then you are not going to be an ED candidate no matter what.

All binding admissions apps require that you accept the admissions offfer, withdraw all other applications, and cease from submitting any other applications. Schools with this process usually assume they are your number one choice and gaining admissions to their program would mean you no longer require admission at any other school.

If a school has a non-binding ED application then you can apply to that program and any other program that is not binding.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
Don't apply ED to two places. That's a big no-no.