Law School Discussion

Best Outlining Software For Windows

Re: Best Outlining Software For Windows
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
does onenote come with the office package, or do you have to buy it separately? 

Speedzie

• Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »
does onenote come with the office package, or do you have to buy it separately? 

It depends on the office package.   Google "Office 2007."

Speedzie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »
Nevermind, I forgot about the ultimate steal...
http://www.theultimatesteal.com/

Last year Microsoft did this promotion, selling downloadable versions of Office Ultimate for like $90 or something.  I forget exactly how much, but it was rediculously cheap.  If I remember correctly, all you needed was a valid .edu email address to do it.

As a matter of fact, i think this deserves it's own thread.

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 01:22:01 AM »
Though I like Google Docs, it hardly qualifies as a good backup plan (unless it is a 2nd backup) because Google does not back up their servers (or so I hear). Same goes for gmail.

Speedzie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 11:52:35 AM »
Though I like Google Docs, it hardly qualifies as a good backup plan (unless it is a 2nd backup) because Google does not back up their servers (or so I hear). Same goes for gmail.
I don't know much about Google docs, but I have to second the opinion that a good backup plan is essential. 

A short anecdote:
When I was in grad school, I did all my work on my laptop and did a weekly backup, typically on fridays.  I figured that would be safe.  Well, along came one thursday or friday, just before my normal backup, when I had a geniuine hard drive failure.  Not a crash, not "windows wouldn't boot" or something like that, the hard drive actually failed and refused to read.  I had LOST an entire week of work!  Let's just say this was pretty devestating, and playing catchup really hurt me that semester.  Since then, I've been a backup nut. 

I now do the following:  1)  Leave an SD card in my laptop's card slot, with daily (nightly) scheduled backups - my laptop is set to wake up just to do the backup and then go back to sleep mode.  2)  I also have a backup harddrive with a complete image of my current hard drive, so that if I encounter an actual failure I just insert the new drive and my laptop boots normally as of the last image date.  Once in school, my plan is to update the image weekly.  This can be done in software automatically.  To simplify the process, I use my thinkpad's "ultra bay slim" hard drive enclosure, so that instead of a cd/dvd drive I have the second hard drive in my laptop most of the time - this way I don't have to remember to plug in the drive once a week, or be annoyed with slow network backups.

I might sound crazy - but that ONE TIME that my computer died on me in grad school made my life much more stressful than it was already.  Class rank and grades being what they are in law school, this won't be happening to me again.

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
I don't know much about Google docs, but I have to second the opinion that a good backup plan is essential. 

A short anecdote:
When I was in grad school, I did all my work on my laptop and did a weekly backup, typically on fridays.  I figured that would be safe.  Well, along came one thursday or friday, just before my normal backup, when I had a geniuine hard drive failure.  Not a crash, not "windows wouldn't boot" or something like that, the hard drive actually failed and refused to read.  I had LOST an entire week of work!  Let's just say this was pretty devestating, and playing catchup really hurt me that semester.  Since then, I've been a backup nut. 

I now do the following:  1)  Leave an SD card in my laptop's card slot, with daily (nightly) scheduled backups - my laptop is set to wake up just to do the backup and then go back to sleep mode.  2)  I also have a backup harddrive with a complete image of my current hard drive, so that if I encounter an actual failure I just insert the new drive and my laptop boots normally as of the last image date.  Once in school, my plan is to update the image weekly.  This can be done in software automatically.  To simplify the process, I use my thinkpad's "ultra bay slim" hard drive enclosure, so that instead of a cd/dvd drive I have the second hard drive in my laptop most of the time - this way I don't have to remember to plug in the drive once a week, or be annoyed with slow network backups.

I might sound crazy - but that ONE TIME that my computer died on me in grad school made my life much more stressful than it was already.  Class rank and grades being what they are in law school, this won't be happening to me again.

I don't think that's crazy at all--I think NOT backing up like that is crazy.  I do a daily to my flash drive, a weekly to a portable hard drive, and put really important stuff in my web storage as well. 

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 08:47:22 AM »
Err...how about Google Docs?  That was my plan.  That way all of my notes are backed up and the like. 

I'd say that's a bad plan.  Back up on a flash drive, a portable hard drive, web storage, or all three if you'd like.  I have heard nothing but bad things from people who were relying on Google Docs.

Would you mind elaborating on what kinds of bad things could come from using Google Docs?  It's like using Word but without all of the stupid formatting that gets in your way when trying to outline.  Plus, they just added a new feature that allows  offline access, so you even if you happened to be somewhere you couldn't get an internet signal, your files would be backed up on your hard drive. 

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »
Err...how about Google Docs?  That was my plan.  That way all of my notes are backed up and the like. 

I'd say that's a bad plan.  Back up on a flash drive, a portable hard drive, web storage, or all three if you'd like.  I have heard nothing but bad things from people who were relying on Google Docs.

Would you mind elaborating on what kinds of bad things could come from using Google Docs?  It's like using Word but without all of the stupid formatting that gets in your way when trying to outline.  Plus, they just added a new feature that allows  offline access, so you even if you happened to be somewhere you couldn't get an internet signal, your files would be backed up on your hard drive. 

Why do people always refer to it as "stupid formatting"?  If you are doing an outline, why wouldn't you want it formated as an outline?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
Why do people always refer to it as "stupid formatting"?  If you are doing an outline, why wouldn't you want it formated as an outline?

Because you often end up fighting the software to get the outline done like you want it. Far easier just to manually tab.

Speedzie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »

It's a potential problem to rely on google docs for backup purposes.  It is much safer in the long run to have local backups of your valuable info.